Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to County Supervisor Mitzelfelt

Dear Supervisor Mitzelfelt,

My wife and I drove on Rock Springs Road at the Mojave River Crossing on Saturday and I noticed that County Flood Control had posted "No Trespassing” signs all over the area. I also saw some sort of a uniformed officer (not a Sheriff's Deputy). Talking to some folks stopped there in a small parking area.

For years High Desert folks have enjoyed the water flowing through there on hot summer days and now it has been decided to stop them from it.

This may be in violation of state law allowing public access to rivers. Here's a link to the laws: http://c2.com/kaweah/riverlaw.html

I'm not sure if this action by the county violates the letter of the law but it certainly violates at least the spirit of the law.

I understand perhaps the county is concerned about liability issues, but that could be handled with "enter at your own risk signs". Obviously, during rainy weather it wouldn't be a good idea to be in the river bottom area.

It seems that everyday we are loosing more and more of our access to public lands and this is just another example. What could it possibly hurt by the public enjoying a little water on our hot summer days?

By-the-way we have met at SCLA a few times. I'm the Airport Maintenance & Facilities Manager. I've also met a number of your staff at various Wind Generator & Johnson Valley meetings. I thank you for your support on those efforts.

Should you or one of your staff members wish to contact me, please feel free to do so.

Sincerely,

Roger Peterson
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,

The State of California Security Patrol has been out there for 5 weeks. There was an accident involving some kids playing in the water next to the pipes that run under Rock Springs Road. According to the Security officer, it was decided that it was cheaper to have 24/7 security than have a law suit. The area is joint owned, split between Hesperia, Apple Valley, and the State of California. As told to me, The State is involved because of the aquifer and water pumping station a couple of hundred feet away that supplies municiple water for those towns downstream.

Just what I was told when I stopped a couple of weeks ago.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

Thanks for the information.

I believe the action violates state law.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
      X