Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bear - Looking for large assembly area

I am wondering if there is a large outdoor assembly area in Big Bear, suitable for holding up to 300 4x4 rigs, and their camping equipment (very few will have motor homes). Ideally, there would be buildings nearby where lectures and presentations could be hosted indoors.

Any suggestions?
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Hey Nathan!

As far as I know, the SBNF doesn't have any areas that will hold the kind of numbers that you are looking for.

Old Fart or FishPOET might have some suggestions but my experiences have suggested that groups of that size require significant planning with the Forest Service beforehand.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      ... my experiences have suggested that groups of that size require significant planning with the Forest Service beforehand.

Agreed. This would be next year in the late spring.

TreadLightly Trainer
      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

There is not a single public area in the SBNF near Big Bear that I am aware of that you could camp 300 rigs in one area.

There are a few private camps that may meet your criteria, although I'm sure it would have to be in their off-season. Camp Whittle & Holcomb Valley Scout Camp come to mind.

You might consider letting everyone take care of their own camping/lodging accommodations and meet at a larger venue off forest like Snow Summit, Bear Mtn, Big Bear Convention Center.

Snow Summit is the meeting place for Forest Fest, Jeep Jamboree, Mountain Bike Races, etc. I have also seen groups camping in the Snow Summit parking area.

By gathering off the forest in a large group and breaking into smaller groups before entering the forest you side step the need for a National Forest group permit. Typically the group permit process takes approx 6 months to get approval from all the different departments. There is a fee involved and you must provide a bond and insurance.
        Last edited by FishPOET; 06-09-09, 04:24 AM.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

What have you got in the works Nathan?
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I'm helping to develop some potential locations for consideration of an outdoor/vehicle based camping and excursion event. Its not my event and I am not doing the planning. I'm just looking for possible venues in the Big Bear area, which is one of many locations being considered around the State.

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

As Doug mentioned, anything over 75 people will require a Special Use Permit.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                As Doug mentioned, anything over 75 people will require a Special Use Permit.
                Though the processes differ, special permits will be required no matter what for an event if this type/size, wouldn't matter if it was BLM land, military land, state park, national forest, or a public fairground.

Paperwork goes part and parcel with this sort of thing.

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
                X