Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anza-Borrego (Ocotillo Wells) on the list of proposed State Park closures.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anza-Borrego (Ocotillo Wells) on the list of proposed State Park closures.

See the entire list here:

http://www.calparks.org/takeaction/m..._leg-match.pdf

I just called State Sen. Hollingsworth's office to communicate my strong displeasure with the Governors list and specifically Anza-Borrego. I was told that Arnie has all the say regarding the parks, and that they have been fielding a ton of calls and emails lately. They are in conference right now and everything is fluid.

Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth
    Capitol Office
    State Capitol, Room 305
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    Phone: (916) 651-4036
    Fax: (916) 447-9008

His web site
    http://cssrc.us/web/36/contact_us.aspx

Call and raise hell! Our OHV areas are paid from a trust, funded with Green and Red sticker reg fees exempt from the budget mess. Looks like they may try to raid the fund. Time to speak up!!!
    98 TJ 4x4, Auto, Hardtop, 3" ZJ lift, 32x11.5 BFG ATs, Pro Comp 15x8 series 97 wheels.

Agreed that we need to help to protect the fund.

But I have to think that trying to close the largest state park in the continental US would take more money than the state would want to spend.

This is a list of almost all the state parks! The ones that are conspicuously missing are things like Oceano Dunes SVRA and Hearst Castle - you know - the ones that actually MAKE money.

This list has a lot of state beaches on the list. I bet they are all the ones that you don't have to pay to enter. I know Carpinteria SB is free. Other things are Historic points like the Painted Cave. There is nothing to close, it's just a hole in the rock on the side of the road.

I feel that the main thing that we need to fear is the state affecting the funds for OHV support and the possiblity of making Ocotillo Wells a 'pay to play' park like El Mirage and Azusa Canyon.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-02-09, 07:33 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

From the list, I'd guess it must be most of the parks in the state. Forbidding public access to these areas just because the State can't afford to babysit said public in said areas is absolute B.S.

Ocotillo Wells is just a part of Anza-Borrego S.P.--a fun part, to be sure, but I'm getting at something: Ocotillo Wells has a lot of supervision going, but other areas of the park, there is scarce to none. In the northern areas of Coyote Canyon (which I frequent) you may never see a ranger, unless he's flying over in an airplane.

So why this need to close the parks? I can think of several things:

1) The people who run the State Park system have come forward and said "If you're going to cut our funding, you're going to have to close all these parks." The implied political threat here is: You're going to piss a lot of people off (besides us, that is). The assumptions put forth are: a) The public just can't be trusted to enjoy their own land responsibly without our constant oversight (which exists, really!). b) Our budgets are used so carefully, and every dollar is stretched; we don't spend money just so our budget doesn't get cut in the next fiscal year--other agencies do that, but not us.

2) Environmental extremists and elitists will no doubt seek to seize this opportunity to drive the sullied feet (and tires) of the vulgar public off their sacred soil.

3) This may also be a manifestation of political and bureaucratic revenge against the public for not approving tax and fee increases necessary to support California's massive state government. "We'll teach you a lesson--we're going to keep you (the public) off of your (public) land! Soon you'll be begging us to take your money!" By the way, is it my imagination, or have I been seeing a lot more traffic stops lately?
      holes = cowbell

Comment

I did bet a bogus parking ticket in April. Being unemployed 40.00 is 40.00 I really didn't have to pay out. It would have cost me more in time to fight it which bugs me. I waited out there for hours to see which metermaid gave me the ticket and never found the idiot. Guess the city is trying to bring in money any way they can. Not my fault SD is hurting for money. Maybe if they didn't spend over 700,000 leasing a empty building, they're problems wouldn't as bad as they are. I love SD but sometimes this city isn't too bright. Arnold is just mad because his propositions got shot down in last month's special election.
        2004 TJ X
        Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Just a note:

Ocotillo Wells is not part of Anza-Borrego State Park. It is a State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA), and as such has separate and specific funding that does not come out of the General Fund. It borders Anza-Borrego, but is not an actual part of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

Besides, the cut in funding means that they won't pay for rangers. No rangers, no enforcement. How are you going to "close" the desert?
          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
            Just a note:
            Ocotillo Wells is not part of Anza-Borrego State Park. It is a State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA)
            We stand corrected, thanks Peteyg.

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
            Besides, the cut in funding means that they won't pay for rangers. No rangers, no enforcement. How are you going to "close" the desert?
            I was kind of laughing about that very same point with some other guys from the forum during a day of wheeling in upper Coyote Canyon. Coyote Canyon is now locked with a very sturdy gate, and will be until at least Sept 30--if the ABSP isn't officially closed. Now that's one area with limited public access points, where a closure could be somewhat effective.

Another possible issue is the Riverside County Off Highway Vehicle Task Force, created to combat "illegal" offroading, and "illegal" use of OHVs in general. I don't know how budget cuts will effect the OHVTF, but I'm willing to bet if they go down, they'll go down in a blaze of citations.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              Another possible issue is the Riverside County Off Highway Vehicle Task Force, created to combat "illegal" offroading, and "illegal" use of OHVs in general. I don't know how budget cuts will effect the OHVTF, but I'm willing to bet if they go down, they'll go down in a blaze of citations.
              Okay, this really gets me, it sure seems tax dollars could be better spent than creating a taskforce to combat illegal off-roading. I would think the money could be more wisely spent combating, Oh I don't know, maybe gang activity?? Geeze what idots...
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

On another note:

I know we are all outraged that a state service that is near and dear to us is getting targeted for cuts, but...

Lets be realistic. California is BROKE. The reality is, just about EVERYTHING is going to get cut in one way or another. We have all been saying for years: Don't spend more than you make! Well, that's coming home to roost, right now. Yes, there are reasons why we're in this mess. Did you also see where the governator was proposing cutting off 500,000 welfare recipients? Or where he wants to get federal funding to house illegals in our prisons, or deport them? Or how he's cutting funding from every single state program? Unfortunately, this HAS to be done. It sucks, and it's going to hurt, and as bad as it is now, California is going to become an even worse place to live for the next few years.

Like it or not, this state is in the mess it's in because of out of control spending. How dumb is it to base a permanent allocation on temporary windfalls? But that's what California did. How dumb is it to allow the budget process to be tossed in the winds by stupid ballot propositions that place CONSTITUTIONAL restrictions on how money is spend, without regard to whether the money actually exists?

These are the things that California, and yes, US, too, have done to destroy the economy of California, once the 5th largest in the world.

We may lament the fact that funding for our state parks is drying up, but we should really be lamenting the fact that our STATE is drying up. I don't like it any more than anybody else here, but I do understand that if the money isn't there, it just isn't there, no matter how much we don't like it. You and I can't spend money at will without consequences. Why should we think any differently about our state government?

(the federal deficit is a whole other issue that takes this argument to an astronomical level)
                '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

On yet another note, I'm not outraged that any state programs are being cut. I think smaller government is better government. We talk so much about freedom here, but in many ways our national government is one of the more meddlesome in the world, and California is one of the most meddlesome states to live in. The thing is, the more money a government gets, the more resources it has to f*** with people. Now if the federal gov't would stop spending money it doesn't have...
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Lots of good points brought up here. But as for Anza Borrego Desert State Park being "closed", well I really don't think that'll have much of an affect on leaving the pavement and exploring out there. The rangers might be all but gone and the main camp ground and various pit toilets around the park will be closed, as there'll probably be no one to maintain them. It would still be a shame though.

Comment

Working...
                    X