Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBNF - Change in Fire Restrictions

Bottom line - no more fires at Yellow Post sites until the end of 2009 fire season.

ORDER NO. 09-3
    TEMPORARY RESTRICTIONS
    SAN BERNARDINO NATIONAL FOREST

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(a) and (b), and to protect natural resources and provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited within the San Bernardino National Forest. This Order is effective from May 21, 2009, through the end of the official 2009 fire season.

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, stove fire, or charcoal fire outside of a picnic area, campground, group campground or undeveloped campground. 36 CFR 261.52(a).

2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, within a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material. 36 CFR 261.52(d).

3. Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
    36 CFR 261.52(i).

4. Using an explosive. 36 CFR 261.52(b).

5. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except in the public shooting ranges that are operated under a special use permit issued by the Forest Service. Persons engaged in lawful hunting are exempt from this prohibition. 36 CFR 261.58(m).

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:

1. Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

2. Persons with a permit from the Forest Service specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.

3. Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable lantern or stove using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Edit: I should have paid better attention
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Bottom line - no more fires at Yellow Post sites until the end of 2009 fire season.
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY

Comment

I understand the restrictions, but camping at the YP sites SUCKS without being able to have a campfire. It's too bad.
        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

It was worse when SBNF finally came in line with the other National Forests and banned campfires for dispersed camping several years back (we were one of the last NF's to allow that) - do you have any idea how many people we had to tell "we understand you've always camped here and had a fire....but"
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            It was worse when SBNF finally came in line with the other National Forests and banned campfires for dispersed camping several years back (we were one of the last NF's to allow that) - do you have any idea how many people we had to tell "we understand you've always camped here and had a fire....but"
            I totally get it, I just don't like it. I like forest fires less, though, so it's livable. The last time we camped at YP33 and all we had was a lantern. It's just not the same. I'll probably pass on a summer trip up there this year for that reason.

But the YP's aren't exactly "dispersed camping". The sites are semi-developed, and have fire pits and picnic tables. It doesn't make sense...the only time it's really feasible to camp up there, you can't have a fire. What's the point?

Maybe next year we'll get some rain...

Comment

I feel your pain. But from a Patrol/Enforcement standpoint, it takes a tremendous amount of manpower to keep track of the users in the YP sites.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

I'm pretty stupid sometimes. What is a Yellow Post campsite? Per Peteyg's post above, it has a fire pit...wouldn't you be allowed a fire under Article 1 of the Notice?

...outside of a picnic area, campground, group campground or undeveloped campground.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                  I'm pretty stupid sometimes. What is a Yellow Post campsite? Per Peteyg's post above, it has a fire pit...wouldn't you be allowed a fire under Article 1 of the Notice?
                  I agree with Nwoods regarding Article I.

I agree with peteyg - what's the point of camping with no camp fire?

Aren't YP's a campground?

Are there any statistics showing how may wildfires were started at YP campgrounds?? Every YP I've seen has plenty of clearing around the fire pit.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to make sense of the ruling.

Help me out here Jeff...
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

As it turns out, it's a moot point - I got bad intel (from Greg of all people!) - we are still allowing fires in YP sites.

I'll answer the rest when I get back from my meeting - need to go piss off a few airlines before the holiday weekend starts
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Yellow Post sites are a series of semi-developed campsites that are located throughout the forest. They're pretty cool. The sites are BEAUTIFUL, and most have at least one nice shade tree, a picnic table, and a fire pit. There's usually enough room to park a couple cars, and they are easily accessible on regular roads.

They are first-come first-served, and have some limitations on how many people can use them at any one time. In practice, we usually do a two-family trip every year and camp at a YP, and it's not an issue.

My personal favorite YP site is YP5, but it was closed last year. YP33 was open, though, and that was strange, because YP33 overlooks YP5, and is in walking distance....

Comment

Big Bear Yellow Post sites

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9045

Sites 1-7 are in the Butler II fire area and are currently closed.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9049

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9050

Heart Bar Yellow Post sites

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9356

Keller Peak Yellow Post sites

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9531

San Jacinto Yellow Post sites

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9548

Lytle Creek Yellow Post sites

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11477
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow! what an awesome treasure trove of info!
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Wow! what an awesome treasure trove of info!
                            X2 I got to read more of the old post's
                            Dennis and Tammy
                            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

This library of info should be in our trails section of the site so it doesn't get archived.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X