Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article in Petersons 4 Wheel Off-Road on Johnson Valley OHV

I receieved my June 09 issue yesterday.

There was a nice article in it about Johnson Valley and the battle that is going on to save it.

I scanned in the article and it can be found here:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/117278/PetersonsJV.pdf

I wrote a letter to the editor and forwarded it to the author as well. Kevin McNulty also happens to be the author of the article that featured MJR and Holcomb Creek, and the SBNF AAT program a while back.

Here is the letter I wrote to the editor:

I was excited to read Kevin McNulty's article about Johnson Valley OHV in California in my June 09 issue. This battle is very near and dear to my heart.

Though the links to Blue Ribbon Coalition, NORA, ORBA and CORVA are all wonderful, they aren’t nearly as informative as the two non-profit organizations that have formed with the sole focus of saving our beloved Johnson Valley. The names of these two groups are Partnership for Johnson Valley and Friends of Johnson Valley.

Partnership for Johnson Valley (www.PFJV.org) has organized thousands of stakeholders in the fight to save JV. A Stakeholder is any entity or group that is affected by the possible closure of Johnson Valley OHV. These Stakeholders are not just limited to avid 4x4, Motorcycle and Quad Enthusiasts and the off-road industry as a whole, but the businesses in the communities that surround Johnson Valley OHV, rock hounds, the movie Industry, amateur rocketeers, hikers, bicyclists and the various sanctioning bodies for off-road racing. Especially in this time of economic uncertainty, the loss of income and tax revenue to the local communities that surround Johnson Valley would be devastating.

PFJV has also taken our cause to the state and local government, meeting with Dianne Feinstein’s office and Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt's office to come up with a better solution.

Friends of Johnson Valley (www.FOJV.org) has been wonderful in raising awareness by taking it to the streets and trails. It’s going to take getting EVERYONE involved to successfully win this battle.

Both groups have spearheaded letter writing and email campaigns, along with encouraging folks to send in their public comments to the US Marines. The public comment period ended on January 31st, 2009. However, I have it on good authority that they will not turn away any additional comments made.

Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt has drafted a plan that could possibly be a better option for the Marines. That option is described in his letter to Dianne Feinstein’s office. As a community, we have shown support for Brad Mitzelfelt’s recommendation with nearly 10,000 signatures on the Petition to Save Johnson Valley- Specific Plan. (www.savejohnsonvalley.com). This petition was initially submitted to the Marines at the end of the comment period, amassing 8000+ signatures in a period of nine days. The petition will go on to Congress in the very near future. Signing the petition will take a mere moment, and have an everlasting impact. Please share this link with your readers. Readers from all states are encouraged to sign.

Links to the aforementioned letter and Public comment form can be found under links at www.savejohnsonvalley.com.

Even if you never use Johnson Valley OHV, you could be affected. The displacement of hundreds of thousands of OHV users will most certainly flood other smaller OHV areas and the local National Forest. These areas are already at capacity, and the additional usage could cause a domino effect resulting in the closure of more public lands. The loss of Johnson Valley has far reaching socio-economic impacts.

Thank you for raising awareness in our plight to save Johnson Valley. We sincerely appreciate it.
    Tamera Field – Co-Founder MyJeepRocks.com/ Creator and administrator of the SaveJohnsonValley Petition.
    You would be hard pressed to easily find information on the websites that were listed about Johnson Valley.

Hopefully, he will print the Petitions link along with the links to PFJV and FOJV.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Thanks for your attention on this!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Tam,

You are the best!

Thanks!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Getting national attention is great! Peterson's should start a "Endangered Trails" section in it's mag.

I got a BRC Alert this morning about new potential closures at MOAB. I've never been to Moab...but I want to go some day. I may not get the chance. [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick when you head back to Michigan, why not swing by Moab and have some fun its pretty much on the way

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Nick when you head back to Michigan, why not swing by Moab and have some fun its pretty much on the way
            [COLOR="Sienna"]The same reason I didn't try out gatekeeper at IDTT. I have to drive home on those axles...I don't have spares that fit the Detroit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR="Sienna"]The same reason I didn't try out gatekeeper at IDTT. I have to drive home on those axles...I don't have spares that fit the Detroit![/COLOR]
              There's a ton of stuff to see that doesn't involve punishing your rig.

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                There's a ton of stuff to see that doesn't involve punishing your rig.
                [COLOR="Sienna"]I would assume there's a lot of great scenic drives...but it's Moab! I'd feel like I kissed my sister or something.[/COLOR]

Comment

Chris and I both drove our Jeeps out there when we went. I was open at the time.

I ran everything everyone else did, with the exception of Pritchett Canyon.

There is ALOT to see in Moab.

You could only choose one trail that is more scenic then difficult (though it is still some effort), Id recommend Rim of the World. Totally worth staying a day and doing.

Tam
                  Last edited by JeepGal; 04-11-09, 09:57 AM.
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Working...
                  X