Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Federal Land grab

Yesterday, President Obama signed the latest Wilderness Bill that takes away vehicle access to an additional 2 million + acres of land (700,000 in California). Too bad he has never even seen the land he signed away. Our land access is dissapearing fast!

Say thank you to the sponsors of this one, Senators Boxer and Feinstein. Not surprised?

Google "Wilderness Bill" for more info

Mitch

Today is a great day for all who care about our beautiful country and its pristine natural heritage," added House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.
    I guess we just don't care!?
    In addition to wilderness protection, the bill resolves several long-standing disputes over water rights, including implementation of a 2006 legal settlement to restore the San Joaquin River in California, bringing water and salmon back to a now-dry stretch of the waterway.
    This will be done at the cost of families and an industry.

Comment

What really pisses me off is that Congressman Jerry Lewis (R-Redlands) voted for this. He has turned out to be not much of a conservative - more like a sell out. What an a$$ he is - it's time for him to go.

If you live in his district, how about joining me in emailing his office and telling him not to run in 2010?
      Last edited by Roger; 04-02-09, 12:29 PM.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        What really pisses me off is that Congressman Jerry Lewis (R-Redlands) voted for this. He has turned out to be not much of a conservative - more like a sell out. What an a$$ he is - it's time for him to go.

If you live in his district, how about joining me in emailing his office and telling him not to run in 2010?
        Yeehaw!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

Yeah I agree. no one will ever drill for oil in the 2.1 million acres of federal land that the new admin just grabbed is. Was it really about protecting the land or was it to prevent using our natural resources? "The bill cleared the Senate 77-20, and 285-140 in the House. Some Republicans opposed it, saying it placed too many restrictions, particularly oil drilling, on rural landscapes. Portions of the bill had been blocked in recent years under the Bush administration." source: http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_12032734
          By the way there goes Miller Jeep Trail? The legislation also would strengthen protections of scenic rivers, including eight in California that stretch from the upper Owens River in the eastern Sierra to Piru Creek in Los Angeles County. source: http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-la...,6795956.story

"Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon of Santa Clarita, a conservative Republican who worked with liberal Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) to push for the wilderness designation in the Eastern Sierra and San Gabriel Mountains, alluded to his unusual situation."

"We have some people who used to be my friends who are not happy with me, and we have some people who used to hate me who now think I'm great," he said. Showing pictures of mountains and rivers in his district, he added: "Places like this are treasures that we should try to preserve."source: http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-la...,6795956.story

Buck, Lewis, Feinstien, Boxer, Adams, Schwarzenegger, anyone else that should go?
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Reading the bill, I can't tell what roads may or may not be closed. From McKeon's website, it appears that the roads in the White Mountains will be left open. Does anyone have any better information?

Comment

Working...
            X