Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent Action Needed Johnson Valley - DEADLINE TUESDAY MARCH 10, 2009!!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Action Needed Johnson Valley - DEADLINE TUESDAY MARCH 10, 2009!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 8, 2009
    By Wayne Nosala
    Mark Howlett

Contact Harry Baker
    PFJV Chair
    818-370-3582
    Harry@PFJV.org

DIANNE FEINSTEIN STAFF INDICATES JOHNSON VALLEY IS INFREQUENTLY USED BY RECREATING PUBLIC
    The Partnership for Johnson Valley urges users of Johnson Valley to email Senator Feinstein’s office with a personal message to keep the 189,000-acre multiple-use area as public land

Glendale, CA - The Partnership for Johnson Valley (PFJV) has recently become aware that United States Senator, Dianne Feinstein has been briefed that Johnson Valley sees little use from the public. The information, while ill-advised, supports the highly controversial marine base acquisition of the popular Johnson Valley. Unfortunately, the information given to Senator Feinstein’s office is unfounded and lacks specific stakeholder-use data that has already been disclosed to multiple public agencies including The San Bernardino County Supervisor Brad Mitzelfeld, the US Marine Corps and adjoining townships to Johnson Valley.

“A meeting has been scheduled with Feinstein’s staff on Tuesday, March 10th to discuss the multiple users of Johnson Valley as well as other issues,” says Harry Baker, Chair of the Partnership. The PFJV leadership team have traveled throughout California over the last twelve months advising agencies as well as stakeholder groups regarding the possible closure of the Johnson Valley desert land. The Partnership has documented there are over 750,000 annual usage days of Johnson Valley from diverse groups ranging from the film Industry, scouting organizations, equestrians, flying clubs and off highway organized sports groups.” Closure of Johnson Valley would be a significant loss for all of California as well as the nation, based on stakeholder usage data. This is especially noteworthy since the Marines can expand their training operations to the east of the existing base, public land that is mostly unused.

The Partnership is asking all users of Johnson Valley to email Senator Feinstein’s office a short personal message stating what specific affect a Marine takeover of Johnson Valley would have on you, your family, business, friends, or any other impact. Specifically, Visits days per year, How many in your group, and how much you contribute to the local economy

Please take a brief moment to visit Senator Feinstein’s email message center located here:
    http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/i...tactUs.EmailMe

Simply complete the fields and leave a brief message. Senator Feinstein’s staff has informed the Partnership that they will not accept “letter generator” type emails. Please use the above link to leave a personal message. Alternatively, you can fax a letter to Senator Feinstein’s Los Angeles office at: 310-914-7318. The Partnership’s target deadline for this urgent action is Tuesday morning.

The Partnership is seeking donations, Please visit www.PFJV.org for details

About The Partnership for Johnson Valley:
    The leadership of the Partnership For Johnson Valley has been cooperatively working with the military and the affected Stakeholders in an effort to explore alternatives to the proposed land expansion. The PFJV is a division of the 501(c)3 California Trail Users Coalition led by Harry Baker, Chairman with Mark Howlett as Executive Director, Wayne Nosala as Secretary and directors Ray Pessa and Helen Baker. The Mission of the Partnership is to unite the many people who enjoy the diverse activities available in the multiple-use open access area of Johnson Valley. The Partnership’s charter is to promote responsible recreation and the use of desert resources through conservation and education. The goal of the Partnership is to ensure public open-access to the area in the present, and to future generations who Live, Work, and Recreate in Johnson Valley. For more information and updates, please visit www.PFJV.org

Wayne,
    Thanks again for the info. Senator Fienstien should know my email address well. I just added another one to her in box.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

sent mine. May I remind folks that intelligent and non-threatening letters are better received then not.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Tuesday March 10, 2009 deadline folks. Don't wait, please!
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

My Letter to Ms Fienstien:

Ms Feinstein-

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you how much our family enjoys recreating out at Johnson Valley OHV. This area is well used by tens of thousands of off road users and other recreationalists. Should the US Marines at Twenty-nine Palms take JV to train in, the loss would have far reaching impacts.

Firstly, each time any of us go to JV, we spend money in the nearby communities, not including the money in our own communities in preparation for the trip. On average, depending on the length of the trip, we spend from $500-1000 or more. We go out there ~10 times during the season, from October-April. Our group’s average anywhere from 8-15 individual families; that’s anywhere from $40,000 to $150,000 per year. Especially during these uncertain economic times, the loss of this revenue to the communities surrounding Johnson Valley OHV, and the off-road industry as a whole, would be devastating.

Secondly, Johnson Valley is a HUGE open OHV area. The loss of JV would be detrimental to the other OHV areas due to overcrowding. Also, not all OHV areas allow open use, so our National Forests and other natural areas could be overused and abused. We are truly concerned about this happening in the San Bernardino National Forest, as most of the trails in the forest are only used by registered street legal vehicles, not green stickered vehicles.

Thirdly, I support eastward expansion of the Marine Base into the Sheephole Valley Wilderness as described and recommended by Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt. This area is superior to JV as not only will it save the OHV area, but unlike Johnson Valley, it will allow the Marines to perform Air Combat Training, whereas the Air Space over JV is in the path of the LA Basin. The Sheephole Valley Wilderness area is far from pristine. It has been used multiple times for combat training over the past 50 years or so. The area should never have been designated as wilderness area, and it should be dedesignated to accommodate the Military's needs.

I have prepared a petition supporting Mr. Mitzelfelts recommendation, and to date we have nearly 10,000 individual supporters with their contact information. I would be happy to provide a hard copy to you. It can be found here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/S...-SpecificPlan/

There is also a second petition with personal comments as to why Johnson Valley should remain open. It can be found here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/S...ignatures.html

We sincerely hope that you listen to your constituents. Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Tamera Field
          951-442-1788
          Last edited by JeepGal; 03-08-09, 05:55 PM.
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I believe she's in DC so if you're going to fax her here is her DC fax number:

Fax: (202) 228-3954
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Sent mine

Comment

Too bad Recreation is not one of her interest points on her check list of what you are commenting.
                Rich

Comment

Letter added

Another one in her e-mail box! Thanks Wayne!
                  Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Email sent.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

A little background.

Harry talked to Senator Feinstein's Deputy State Director, James Peterson, on Friday. Peterson made the comment that there was very low usage of the Johnson Valley area. Peterson is basing his comment on the fact that the only data that was provided by the BLM was for permitted events. (55 events 100,000 users). Since JV is not a gated or fee area, that's the only count the BLM has. I think that it is ridiculous and it absolutely DOES NOT take in to consideration the casual users, the residents, or anyone else that visits the area.

We are asking people to send a message to Feinstein that indeed, WE DO COUNT.

We desperately need people to provide their usage data. The number of times they visit JV, the number of days of each visit and the number of people in their group each visit. Economic data is useful as well as it shows our value to the local community.

Here is Peterson's direct email, please ask your people to use this email address.
                      james_peterson@feinstein.senate.gov

Thank you,
                      Helen Baker
                      www.pfjv.org
                      Last edited by JeepGal; 03-08-09, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Letter sent there too... Can you check address accuracy?

Best, Max7

Edit: Corrected the email address on the previous post, it should now work.
                        Last edited by JeepGal; 03-08-09, 07:17 PM. Reason: Email problem
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am begging you !!! Please!!!!

If you value JV in any way you must write a letter, I am begging you! Write a letter! 10 letters is not going to make a difference! We need more. It can be one sentence. It is our effort that is important! The effort with your families name on it! Tuesday March 10, 2009 is the deadline. Don't wait!

If you haven't done it, do it now! Thank you!
                          Best, Max7
                          Last edited by JeepGal; 03-08-09, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Bump... KEEP THIS THREAD HOT!
                            Best, Max7

Comment

Message sent............and many friends contacted to share this info with.

Please do the same if you feel likewise.
                              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                              X