Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite Mountain Wind Project

I have not heard any thing about G.M.W.P. for awhile so this was news to me... Update from "Save the Desert":
    "While attending a meeting for the coalition of various environmental groups, a biologist from BLM reported his findings regarding the Granite Hills Windmill Project. The biologist reported some findings regarding the desert tortoise in the mountains of Granite Hills, but stated that there are several tortoises' dwellings on Fairview Valley's "valley" floor. During his presentation, the public was shown slides to support his professional findings."
    Best, Max7
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Wow,

We already knew that. I know where one lives on Granite Mountain and could have taken him right to it. I wonder what his findings mean?

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      Wow,

We already knew that. I know where one lives on Granite Mountain and could have taken him right to it. I wonder what his findings mean?

Mitch
      ??? Don't know ??? but It's the only news I have heard...
      I want to call BLM and see where they are at tomorrow.
      Best, Max7
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey Max, thanks for the update. I have been wondering about this one. Let us know what you find out please!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
          ??? Don't know ??? but It's the only news I have heard...
          I want to call BLM and see where they are at tomorrow.
          Best, Max7
          Max,

Did you ever contact the BLM? Any update?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Update: Email I received from The Mad Chukar Hunter

Dear Andrew Silva,
            I went Chukar hunting on "Big Hill", the proposed site of the Granite Wind energy project, last week, my first excursion this hunting season. I'm sure you remember when you met with myself, Andy Pauli of Fish and Game, along with a few members of the High Desert Quail Unlimited of Apple Valley. We hiked to the top of the ridge, primarily to familiarize you with the terrain and the unincumbered vistas from my beloved "Big Hill". You told me that climbing the hill would help you get a handle on the impact that 29 400ft tall wind generators might place on the area. Your experience might be instructive and beneficial, helping you present to Brad Mitzenfelt, your employer, a clearer perspective of what's at stake out there. The other folks in the address box (above) are concerned parties I want to keep informed on the proposed project.
            You can imagine my surprise (sadness, anger, etc), upon cresting the Hill, to discover that the developer has already "staked" much of the project. It looks like a damn golf course up there! The location for wind turbines are marked by 8 ft poles with orange flags attached. Additionally, several of the project roads are deliniated by center-line lath staking. What's up??
            To my knowledge, the EIR isn't even completed. Doesn't the project have to go through the whole approval procedure before they lay the damn thing out? Is this thing a done deal, or what!? My perverted heart and mind tells me that the "fix" is in. . . Please tell me it ain't so.
            On a related issue, the EIS for Hacienda at Fairview, the 3100 home development proposed for Fairview Valley, just west of Big Hill, has been released. In my written comments for the Scoping Period, I remember expressing my concerns for wildlife habitat, water for wildlife, and, in particular, the importance for maintaining public hunting access to the Granite Mtns, especially at Amaral and Horse Springs, located near the southwest border of the development. I should have saved my breath. While I have not read the entire document, I did scan the sections and tables and drawings regarding wildlife. It's as if my concerns are warrentless, I guess. There is absolutely not a word regarding bighorn sheep, quail, or chukar. Access to the springs is not mentioned. Does the public's input in the process count for nothing?
            Andrew, I'll admit I'm really ignorant when it comes to the whole permitting process, so perhaps you can explain what's going on. Especially the business with the flagging on Big Hill. . . maybe the EIS is done and over, and like a husband who's wife is cheating on him, I'll be last to find out about it.
            Please get back to me.
            Gary ---------- , The Mad Chukar Hunter

Comment

HOLY SMOKES!!! What can we do? It's funny that we just ate lunch with Mitzelfelt, isn't it? Guess we need to learn to ask more questions - they just don't bring these things up on their own.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I don't know if I'd be ready to jump the gun. The flagging may be part of the EIS process.

Comment

Working...
                X