Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CORVA Alert, 90 Million at stake!!!

Action Alert!!!!

Part of the Governor’s latest budget proposal is a $90M loan from the OHV Trust Fund to help balance the state budget!

Although we understand that the state is in the grip of the worst budget crisis in history, this loan is not a solution to the problem!

Why? The law requires that this loan must be repaid within 2 years, so all this does is delay a real solution to the budget problem.

Similar tactics have been tried in the past. In recent years the state budget was often balanced by borrowing billions from constitutionally protected trust funds reserved for highway construction and repair of local streets and roads. Local governments united to oppose this borrowing gimmick and the governor and legislature agreed to stay away from borrowing from local government trust funds this year. Unfortunately this commitment does not extend to our OHV Trust Fund.

The governor is proposing an urgency bill that would authorize this loan. This money is our green sticker money that comes directly from the increased cost of green stickers from $25 to $50. This funding was supposed to go to law enforcement and other essential public safety services as well as improving the program. The public agreed to this fee increase to better fund the program, not to bail out the state budget.

What can you do?

It is urgent that OHV users get in touch with their state legislators as soon as possible.

Write or fax a letter to YOUR state senator and state assemblymember.

Tell them to stop borrowing to balance the budget.

Tell them the OHV Trust Fund should not be used to balance the budget

Loans like this are just gimmicks and not a solution to the real problem.

We were willing to raise our fees to be able to keep our program operating, we should not become the scapegoats in this budget battle.

During the last election many legislators signed a promise that they would not use borrowing to balance the budget.

Ask your legislators if they signed a "no borrowing pledge", and ask them if they are going to stand by that promise.

Specific points to make are:

1. Members of the public agreed to a fee increase to support a specific program, but now the revenue generated is being diverted from its intended purpose - a breach of public trust.

2. Borrowing from state funds that must be repaid does not solve the budget problem, it only defers dealing with the problem to a later date when it will be even more difficult to solve.

3. Using a trust fund as a revenue source sets a bad precedent. Trust funds are established up to protect public funds for specific purposes. This could lead to diversion of funds from other trust funds in the future potentially including even entitlement funds.

4. The budget crisis must be resolved through a combination of spending cuts and tax increases, not more borrowing.

FAX or email your letter today!!!

URL to comment to the governor. http://gov.ca.gov/interact

Log on to http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/framepage.asp

Enter your home address and then start making calls to your representative.

It is imperative you do this ASAP .

Thanks.

CORVA President, Jim Woods,

CORVA Imidiate Past presidend Ed Waldheim 760 373 0033

CORVA Past president Steve Kuehl.

Bruce Brazil
    CERA assistant LAO
    California Enduro Riders Association

WHO WE ARE
    The California Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) is a varied group of outdoor recreationists who are extremely active in promoting the positive aspects of vehicular access on public lands and protecting that right.

The group is composed of the owners of "Green Sticker" vehicles such as ATV's, motorcycles, 3-wheelers, trail bikes, and dune buggies, as well as "street legal" 4X4 vehicles, dual sport motorcycles, bajas, and desert racers.

CORVA's main purpose is to work with the land managers for responsible off-highway vehicular access and recreation opportunities. Secondarily, we educate our membership on the constantly changing rules and regulations and promote clean-up and trail maintenance projects.

we continue to monitor and lobby the powers in Sacramento

Visit http://www.corva.org/

While I'm sympathetic to CORVA's cause, there are bigger issues facing us with the land grabs. I'm putting my energy towards those issues.

Others can choose to join CORVA's fight, but not me. Good luck with that.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

All Im trying to do is rally some support to save our OHV funds

It would take only one letter or fax from everyone weather or
      not you are a CORVA fan

That trust fund is for Land Aquisition and improvments, its your/our $$$, Governator can borrow from someone else

Comment

Wayne,

We can't get enough support to save Johnson Valley. For all the off-roaders in So Cal there's only about 1,400 letters to the Marines - with only two weeks to go.

That's why I wished you good luck with your project. I'm a little "depressed" over this lack of support for JV.

Roger
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

They are also trying to take $30Million from DFG set aside funds.

Comment

email sent

thanks for the heads up

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Roger
              We have more than these two issues,

You reference this as my project, I did not even write this release,
              I was asked to get it out to the public

I am just as dismayed for the disappointing participation on the JV
              issue, I was at the last meeting with 29p reps

Boy OHV public sure raised a stink when this came to light, its amazing how everyone disappeared!

I am also personally involved in the following

CWC wilderness proposal

Red Rock State park revision

Friends of Jawbone ( Many challenges there alone)

California city issues

Johnson Valley

And to top it all off, this ridiculous Klasky COW group has started a chapter
              in Kern county very near were I live.

So again, Its a simple easy request to contact your
              reps and ask them not to pillage our trust fund

I am not even saying i am aligning myself with a particular ORG, I just want to
              be able to use a dirt road 20-30 years from now

Sorry if that is too much to ask,Its not my personal quest, We are all in this together

Wayne Nosala
              760-373-7866

Comment

Comment submitted.

The Marines should be flooded with more comment forms over the next two weeks. On Sat we had a FOJV meeting on Means and I would guess we had about 100 folk, the majority who had previously filled out at least one form. I am sure we handed out at least an additional 400 comment forms and people were going to make copies and have friends, etc fill out. After the meeting we visited all the camps in the area and talked to people about the Marines' plans. Most who are not part of an OHV organization know nothing about the plans. But all were willing to fill out the forms and submit. FOJV has volunteers who will be handing out comment forms over the last two weeks at Boone on Fri nights. Two groups took forms to visit camps off Bessemir Mine Rd. Also, District 37 had an event at Cougar Buttes and has the forms. There is another District 37 event this weekend off Bessemir and the forms will be available. Saw a post from someone on the District site that handed out 93 forms at the Supercross.....so the Marines should have plenty of work to do over the next year.

All of the OHV organizations need our support. There are a lot of issues on the plate now and will be for the forseeable future. Right now we have all these land grab issues and next the windmills and solar. Stay involved.

Rich
                Rich

Comment

Email sent to Governor.

Calls placed to:

Adams, Anthony

Ashburn, Roy

Runner, George

Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Rich,

I like the idea of going out to these areas on the weekends and letting the people know about the issues. You are right, most of the users are not in off-road orginizations and have no idea what they are going to lose. I will continue to spread the word.

Wayne,

You need to pace yourself, that's quite the list. It seems if we do nothing we could lose it all. That really sucks. Thanks for all of your help.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                    X