• Show
Clear All

• JV - Valkyrie Movie

Something in the paper today:

Tom Cruise, Valkyrie and Johnson Valley
    Comments 0 | Recommend 0
    December 24, 2008 - 10:33 AM
    FROM STAFF REPORTS

JOHNSON VALLEY — Valkyrie, starring Tom Cruise, opens today. So what does a movie that’s plot centers around the assassination of Adolf Hitler have in common with the Victor Valley? It was shot in our own Johnson Valley, just outside of Lucerne Valley.

Sheri Davis, the Director of the Inland Empire Film Commission, and the film’s producers chose Johnson Valley as the perfect location to film parts of the movie which are meant to take place in Northern Africa.

“Their art department said it was actually perfect for the Northern Africa scenes, and they looked at numerous locations,” Davis said.

Filming for mountain scenes were also shot in nearby Big Bear, Davis said.

And while the movie features a number of locations, locals should have no trouble identifying those rock formations — that many moviegoers will believe are actually in Northern Africa.

“People should see it, I understand it’s really good,” Davis said. “It shows off our area really well.”

Davis estimates that a crew was in the area for about two months in late summer constructing sets and shooting scenes, and that some locals worked on the set.

“We try as best we can to put locals to work,” she added.

Davis’ office estimates the crew spent thousands of dollars locally.

Our own Max7 was working on the movie in Cougar Buttes! Yea Max!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Cougar Buttes

It's pretty awesome to work and play in those rocks! A lot shorter commute when working locally wish it were like that more often! Have not seen the film yet I heard it is good.
      Best, Max7
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Am I the only one thinking that this should be mentioned to all the people trying to take JV from us? Will filming of things like this also be taken away if the Marine expansion is westward?
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          Am I the only one thinking that this should be mentioned to all the people trying to take JV from us? Will filming of things like this also be taken away if the Marine expansion is westward?
          Wouldn't the film production company simply write a check and get permission to use that land anyway?
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
            The cost estimates and number of productions in JV is part of the Powerpoint Presentation put together by Partnership for JV and the Bakers have presented to many organizations.
            Rich

Comment

FYI - Cougar Buttes is outside the area the Marines want
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                The cost estimates and number of productions in JV is part of the Powerpoint Presentation put together by Partnership for JV and the Bakers have presented to many organizations.
                Cool. I've seen some numbers that have been put together regarding Lucerne Valley and other outlying areas, but I didn't know if it included things not often thought about like filming. I wanted to make sure they didn't ONLY show the money brought in from recreationalists and competitors that use the public land, but show the broad usage of the land.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                X