Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rock State Park - Nightmare Gulch

http://www.corva.org/Latest_Issues/2008/RedRock_1.html

The Corva link to the State park flyer is not working for me. This is the first I have head about this issue. Does anyone have any information?
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

dood. I didnt know about this. this is one of my fav spots.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Maybe Harry and Helen know something about this. It would be a real shame if they are looking at NG.

Comment

WTF! How do we keep up?! Every time we turn around it is another area under attack. Hell, The meetings are even starting to overlap one another now. It is becoming a full time job to keep up w/ it all. Sorry for venting but I'm getting really tired of losing places to wheel that I Just recently discovered!

Going to go type up Another letter..... I'll be damned to lose w/out a fight.

Comment

Our public lands are disappearing at a scary rate. It's like everyone who has an agenda is in a race to take as much as possible, as fast as possible. For the State of California to even consider spending money on Wilderness projects during a financial disaster like we are experiencing is frightning to me. Senator Feinstein alone has projects in the millions that will have no benefit to the state or the people of this state. It's all about retiring one day and getting all touchy / feelly saying look what I saved from the people. Oh sorry that you can't use it anymore, but it's still there.

I'm going to puke!

Mitch

Comment

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743606

a bunch of bs. greedy freaking rock huggers. want all the places to themselves.

I emailed them a short letter.

Like they never said I have never seen a dead tortoise there. or even alive.
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Here's a link to the Red Rock Canyon State Park General Plan site. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

The plan could affect motorized access to Last Chance Canyon, Nightmare Gulch, Bickel Camp, Burro Schmidt, Dutch Cleanser Mine (the mine itself is not in the park, but access to it goes through the park), and areas to the west of Hwy 14.

The process is just beginning, with the goal of having a completed plan by June 2010.

The first phase of the planning process ends on December 31, 2008. (The December 13 scoping meeting was part of this phase). During this phase of the process, organizations are encouraged to hold "stakeholder meetings". These meetings are intended to be face-to-face mini-workshops that last two or three hours and address three questions:
              1. What are the important destinations and landmarks in the park?
              2. What types of recreational opportunities should be considered and expanded?
              3. What improvements are necessary to support those recreation opportunities, while still managing and supporting the Park's significant natural and cultural resources?
              Following the stakeholder meeting, summarized meeting notes should be submitted in writing to the consulting firm that is preparing the plan: EDAW, Inc. Attn: Red Rock Canyon, 515 S. Flower St., 9th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071.

I don't know of any off-road groups that held any stakeholder mini-workshops and I don't know what was submitted at the December 13th scoping meeting, but we still have time to submit our input. I don't think it is possible to hold a face-to-face meeting before the deadline, so we should try to use this discussion thread to gather our ideas and submit them as a group. First, does anyone know what was already submitted at the December 13th meeting? Second, post your responses to the three mini-workshop questions to this thread. Try to post your comments by Monday, December 29 so we can get them to the consultants before the deadline. If you want to submit your comments directly to EDAW, Inc. that's OK, too.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

What the.............

Aren't these 'designated offroad routes'??
                If the gov. or the locals for that matter, keep closing spots to go, then what's left? Then it's gonna be illegal riding/driving if you go off pavement!!

What's gonna be left? Gorman? No thanks.....I mean, I appreciate it as a park and all, but if that's the only place.....

We should focus on the 'economy' angle of it. In a time where resources should really be scrutinized, and budgets carefully allocated....show us where and how spending money on keeping people out and restructuring a 'park' is economically sound. Rippling from that would be the aftermarket market. Less and less people are going to spend money on that kinda of vacationing..... Right now, it encourages travel to that area, therefore stimulating that towns income....Ridgecrest, Mojave....etc....
                David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Good points. For example, I wonder how Primos in Mojave would feel about a NG closure. Maybe he should start squawking a bit.

Makes me think of Cal City as well- an entire town that is dependent upon off roaders, welcomes them, polices them and allows them to play with very few rules inside the city limits.

Comment

My letter is in the mail.
                    Rich

Comment

Sent in my comments. Will be calling too after the holidays.

Comment

Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to OHV!

Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Vehicular Use!

Red Rock Canyon State Park is amending their General Plan.

Comments needed in support of designating the route system throughout the Park to keep the roads open.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is not only rich in beautiful geology, but it is even richer in it's mining history and culture and we the people deserve to be able to responsibly tour the Park by motorized means.

CBD is on a all out letter writing campaign to ban all vehicle access to the park
                        Here is link to CBD release http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o...aign_KEY=26365
                        Pretty scary stuff !

Letters and emails must be received by January 5th.
                        Please write your comments to both of the following,

Rdingman@Parks.Ca.Gov

RedRock@edaw.com

More info. www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

The El Pasos received some recent snow, the last time we remember it being like this is (6-8" at Burro Schmidt's) in the mid-90's (92?) and it is really beautiful in the mountains around Ridgecrest. The Red Rocks State Park Management Plan is in its comment period, and we need your input. The following note came in from one of our members and I thought it important enough to pass along:

"The Center for Biological Diversity is urging it's members to write letters encouraging the closure of the entire 27, 000 acres of Red Rock Canyon to vehicular use. The Center notes the Management Plan will govern use of the area for the next 20 years, and cites 2 endangered plants and the Mohave Ground Squirrel as some of the reasons to close the area. They are using buzzwords such as "defacto roads" and stating vehicles are destroying the pristine environment and killing desert tortoises."

Please see if you can make the time to write your own letter supporting the continued use of vehicles in Red Rock Canyon. Email your comments to: www.RedRock@edaw.com

or mail them to:
                        Russ Dingman,
                        California State Parks, Tehachapi District,
                        43779 15th Street West,
                        Lancaster, California, 93534-4754.

For more info go to: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

Here's an example of one person's comment:

I have been visiting Red Rocks State Park for over 20 years at least
                        once a month. I have never seen NEVER evidence of a tortoise killed on
                        one of the existing access roads to this beautiful area. I do suggest we
                        should limit access to roads that were established by the 1980's, such as
                        the 4wd routes through lower Last Chance Canyon. Thank You
                        Charles Hattendorf
                        Friends of Last Chance Canyon

Thanks for taking the time to write some comments.

Merry Christmas,

Greg Weirick
                        Advocates for Access to Public Lands
                        www.access-advocates.org

[size:14pt][/size]
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Researching...

I am researching, and investigating... three endangered species currently, and if off roaders have any effect on them in the Red rock state park area. If any one cares to help maybe we can exchange notes and help each other be knowledgeable with our concerns.

The "endangered" Mohave ground squirrel and Two plants -- the Red Rock poppy and the Mojave tarplant.

Don't let activists misuse the endangered species act to keep us off public land.
                          Best, Max7
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                            I am researching, and investigating... three endangered species currently, and if off roaders have any effect on them in the Red rock state park area. If any one cares to help maybe we can exchange notes and help each other be knowledgeable with our concerns.

The "endangered" Mohave ground squirrel and Two plants -- the Red Rock poppy and the Mojave tarplant.

Don't let activists misuse the endangered species act to keep us off public land.
                            Best, Max7
                            Wait, I thought they were complaining about a turtle/tortoise as well....Isn't that why they close the Gulch most of the year?
                            So a ground squirrel...and two plants? Am at a loss for words....nice ones anyway....
                            David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                            I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Orange View Post
                              Wait, I thought they were complaining about a turtle/tortoise as well....Isn't that why they close the Gulch most of the year?
                              So a ground squirrel...and two plants? Am at a loss for words....nice ones anyway....
                              My understanding is that Nightmare Gulch is closed during the "mating season" of the birds of prey (not sure what types) that live there.
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X