Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Meetings Planned for Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Withdrawal Application

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Meetings Planned for Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Withdrawal Application

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/new...6529Palms.html

News Release

For Immediate Release: September 15, 2008
    Contacts: Stephen Razo (951) 697-5217; e-mail srazo@ca.blm.gov
    CA-CDD-08-65

Public Meetings Planned for Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Withdrawal Application

The Bureau of Land Management and the Marine Corps will host public meetings on October 23 and 24 to present the proposal for possible expansion of the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base and to discuss the legislative withdrawal process of the public lands in San Bernardino County. The locations, times, and formats for the meetings will be announced in the near future.

A Federal Register notice published today segregates the public lands identified by the Marines for possible expansion for two years. Under the segregation, the lands are no longer available for settlement, sale, and location of claims under the mining laws. However, the lands remain open to public access and recreation use.

The notice, available online at http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/fed_reg_archives.html also explains the withdrawal process, which requires full environmental and public review and congressional approval as required by the 1958 Engle Act. The publication of the Federal Register notice begins a 90-day comment period regarding the proposed withdrawal.

After the comment period, the Marine Corps will be preparing a draft environmental impact statement (EIS) for further public review to identify a range of alternatives for meeting the Corps' training requirements and analyzing the environmental impacts.

“We realize members of the public have concerns and questions about the proposed withdrawal and what the segregation means,” said Roxie Trost, BLM’s Barstow Field Office manager. “These meetings will provide a first-hand opportunity to have the proposal and subsequent opportunities for full public involvement explained,” she said.

The Department of the Navy, in accordance with the Engle Act, filed an application requesting the Secretary of the Interior to process a proposed withdrawal of public lands for military training and exercises involving the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms. The proposal seeks to withdraw approximately 366,000 acres of federal public land and, if eventually acquired, approximately 72,000 acres of non-federally owned property within the proposed withdrawal area.
    -BLM-

Helen
    PFJV

This sucks more everyday. To think that "public lands" means nothing, really is depressing. Open area, open to camping, open to public use, open to motorcycles, open to off-roading, unique historical mining areas, historical indian trails, access to these areas, displacement of long time leases and homesteads.... And to top it off is the HUGE support of our military (that protects us everyday) by the people that are being "ripped off" and losing our public lands. It's really too bad.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

When I was young, (in the 50's & 60's) the WHOLE desert was "open" with cretain areas set aside for preservation like Joshua Tree National Monument, Death Valley NM, Mitchell Caverns, and a few other places. But we've been boxed into such realitivly small areas, and every day that area is getting smaller & smaller....

In the next 10 years, all of the desert will be one big alternative energy farm. Now that is really depressing...

I have an old book on my bookshelf I purchased in the early 70's. It's is called "Guidebook to the Mojave Desert of Caliornia" by Russ Leadabrand first printed in 1966. I used to "pick a place" in the book and go find it. It was great, there were no restrictions going to the places in the book. I have another book call "Desert Gem Trails" I think. I have not found it yet, but I know it's around here somewhere. That was also a great book to go exploring with.
      Last edited by Roger; 09-15-08, 09:28 PM. Reason: additional information
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
      X