Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feinstein Wilderness Proposal Data Collection & Strategy Meeting

The first of what will likely turn out to be many meetings to deal with the Wilderness proposals that are depicted in the maps from Senator Feinstein's office, is scheduled for August 18, 2008.

The maps are available at http://www.pfjv.org/FWP.pdf

This will be a data collection and strategy session, as opposed to a meeting per se. Each of you is invited to bring your knowledge of the area's shown on Senator Feinstein's maps, and your suggestions for how, as a partnership, we can proceed to combat this proposal now, before it becomes a full-fledged bill, and in the future, should Senator Feinstein decide to move forward and submit a bill.

From what I was told already by Feinstein's staff, she has not committed to this bill yet, but rather that the proposal is being pushed by the California Wilderness Coalition.

The meeting will take place from 3 to 8 PM so that most can make it at some time during that time frame. The idea is to gather data from "desert experts" on each proposed wilderness area and then set up groups to work on the identified issues, similar to what we did with CDC. We can also set up our strategy for going forward. People with expertise in each area will then 'own' an area.

I expect that people may come and go during the 3 to 8 PM time period, I'll be there the whole time to facilitate the data collection.

I will have as many of the BLM Desert Access Guides as are available for review but please bring your maps also, so that we can combine all of the information. The more data that we can develop to counter the Wilderness proposal the better chance we have to defeat it now.

If you know of anyone that may want to, or can contribute to this effort to stop this proposed Wilderness before it goes any further, please let them know about the meeting, have them get in touch with me or collect the data and bring it to the meeting.

I want to collect as much information as possible and get it on the maps and in writing, so that we can figure out the best course of action.

Several of you have mentioned names of people that I should invite, but neglected to provide their contact information, please share this message as appropriate.

In the next week, I will send out additional information on the specific areas that the Senator is considering.

This Wilderness proposal is vastly different from what we faced in the S 21 days. With this proposal we are facing several different situations, in that it's a combination of converting existing WSA's to Wilderness, adding acreage to existing Wilderness, creating some totally new Wilderness and adding a couple Wild and Scenic rivers. It's a bunch of little (and not so little) pieces, it's the old divide and conquer tactic, and it's all our job to bring and keep everyone together.

The meeting will be held at:

J's Maintenance
    3550 Foothill Blvd.
    Glendale, Ca

Thank you and I welcome your participation.

Harry Baker
    Chairman
    bakerhab@aol.com
    818-705-3930 - home
    818-370-3582 - call

Pirate has a letter writing campaign going on the Boxer/McKeon bill also:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705642
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
      Pirate has a letter writing campaign going on the Boxer/McKeon bill also:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705642
      Sent! Thanks for the link.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I'm getting writers cramp! I had to write to more congressmen regarding a new law that, thank God didn't pass, that would have made it mandatory for pleasure boat owners to pay a registration fee, both Federal and State! Part of the bill stated that "deck run off" is a hazardous waste and therefore must be regulated. In other words, if I wash my boat, I'm creating a hazardous waste. Sheeesh! Freaking enviromentalists. You're killin me here...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
        X