X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Attack On The Desert

Desert Residents to Meet, Learn and Express Their Concerns
    to Los Angeles Power Officials

On Saturday morning, July 19, local residents will have their first opportunity to meet with the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP) to discuss the utility's proposed 500kV transmission line project through high desert communities. The meeting will be held in Yucca Valley at the high school, 10 a.m. to noon.

The California Desert Coalition (CDC), a group formed specifically to oppose the transmission line route through the high desert, has planned a "Stop the Towers" poster contest before the meeting, referring to the massive metal transmission towers that would be constructed. CDC Vice Chair Ruth Rieman says that "A strong showing of community residents at this LADWP public meeting will be the tipping point in getting LADWP to choose a more appropriate route than the one through our communities and desert."

From 9 to 10 a.m., everyone is invited to enjoy refreshments and participate in the poster contest. Prizes will be awarded for the top three most creative protest signs brought to the event. Prizes are $300 for first place, $200 for second place, and $100 for third place. Judging of the protest signs will be at 9:15 a.m.

April Sall, CDC Chair, says there has been a lack of transparency on the part of the Los Angeles public utility in its planning for the transmission lines. She wonders why it has taken so long for LADWP to hold public meetings, which have been promised for over a year. Sall sees a clear analogy between LADWP's actions on this project and its previous actions in its taking of water from the Owens Valley.

CDC suggests that LADWP has better alternatives for increasing its renewable energy supply (the stated purpose for the project) than a new transmission line through rural high desert communities and pristine desert lands. Use of the existing I-10 transmission corridor is one of these options.

LADWP has requested a new federal energy corridor and route for high transmission power lines along an 85-mile-long route that begins in Desert Hot Springs and passes through Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Pioneertown, Flamingo Heights, Landers, Johnson Valley, Lucerne Valley, and Apple Valley, terminating in Hesperia. The project is called Green Path North (GPN).

According to Bureau of Land Management records, if approved, the energy corridor would be between 2 and 5 miles wide on public lands managed by the agency, and once designated would be open to oil and water pipelines, as well as electrical transmission. One difficulty is that private property is interspersed with public lands and makes up 30 miles of the proposed route. According to CDC spokesperson Dave Miller, LADWP would have to "connect the dots" of publicly owned land with unnecessary condemnation of more than 1000 private properties through eminent domain powers allowed by the 2005 federal Energy Policy Act.

Resolutions in opposition to the power line route have been passed by cities and community organizations all along the route, as well as by the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors. Exclusion of the public from the planning process and the lack of clear benefits to the county as a whole have left local residents feeling the project is not being fairly pursued. Most commonly mentioned concerns are the taking of properties by eminent domain; devaluation of properties; health risks, especially to children, from EMF; damage to the local tourist-dependent economy (associated with neighboring Joshua Tree National Park); scarring of scenic vistas; and environmental devastation to desert wildlands.

Meeting Location: Yucca Valley High School
    7600 Sage Avenue
    Yucca Valley, CA 92284
    (Google Map Link)

The California Desert Coalition is a nonpartisan advocacy group organized as an advisory committee of the Mojave Desert Land Trust (a 501(c)(3) public charity). The CDC has organized to stop the proposed new LADWP Green Path North transmission corridor.

The Lucerne Valley newspaper had a great front page article regarding this meeting in Yesterday's edition! You can read it online at:

www.lucernevalleyleader.com

The artice title is: "Meeting to Stop Green Path North"
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

This too pisses me off!

My apologies to the moderators for my language, but god damn it enough is enough already. Helen and Harry, I will make every effort to be there. Perhaps Roger and Mitch will join me and we can go play in the rocks later.

I ask with no reservations that we ALL make an attempt to attend some of the many meetings going on that concern the places we love. Make no mistake...if we do nothing we lose! Please join in the fight to save our public lands however you are able to contribute.

Please help however you can,

-ECV Jeep
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Submitting written comments?

Thank you for posting this, I will not be able to attend the meeting, however if there is a contact and address to submit written comments within a time frame to be added as public record, I will write a letter.
        Thank you again, Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Brian,

If my plans were not "customer related" I'd be there. I call to get an update. If write in comments are allowed, get an address.

Mitch

Comment

The Marines Are Watching

Brian,

Thank you for urging people to get involved.

Something to think about: The Marines sent a representative to the Fry Mountain meetings. Why? It for sure was not to speak about the the project, BUT to watch the audience and gauge the temper of the community. Why? Because the Marines have always said that they will take the path of least resistance when it comes to deciding which way to go with the base expansion. They saw plenty of resistance at the Fry Mountain meetings. What will they see at the meeting on Saturday?

We will be there.

Harry & Helen

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
            I ask with no reservations that we ALL make an attempt to attend some of the many meetings going on that concern the places we love. Make no mistake...if we do nothing we lose! Please join in the fight to save our public lands however you are able to contribute.

Please help however you can,

-ECV Jeep

Comment

For Sale Cheap: 3 bedroom home on 5 acres in formerly beautiful Lucerne Valley. Great views of solar panels, 400' high wind generators, high tower lines, and bombs bursting in air....

Motivated seller

I'm going to try to make it to the meeting
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Looks like I'll be going for sure.

Anyone from the Victor Valley want to car pool with me?

Send me a PM and let's make a plan.
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Looks like I'll be going for sure.

Anyone from the Victor Valley want to car pool with me?

Send me a PM and let's make a plan.
                  Roger I can't make it, but could you get an phys. and email address so I can send a letter, thanks!
                  Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Will do Max
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger-

Glad you are able to atted the meeting, as I can not. I agree with Helen, in that we need to show the Marine Corp that we are organized and WILL put a a very significant fight to save our public lands.

Give me a call and fill me in on the meeting.

-Brian
                      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

"The enemy of my enemy is my Friend"

This is a strange fight indeed.

The meeting was well attended. I can't say for sure how many but I'm going to guess 500 people. For the most part the audience was hostile & distrustful of the LADWP.

This was not a BLM meeting but was organized by the California Desert Colalition (CDC). This group seems to be mainly made up of Yucca Valley - Morongo Basin homeowners and and large number of environmental groups. I do not believe any off-road group cares about this project. I hope I'm wrong, but no off-road group had a speaker there. As far as I could tell only the Bakers and myself were there that are a part of an off-road group.

The biggest stakeholder in this is the Wildlife Conservancy located beteen the Pioneer Town and Onxy Peak. This is the group that closed the Forest Service road through their property. My guess is they will sue LADWP before any powerline crosses their property.

My title of this thread is based on the fact the we are aligned with hard core environmentalists against a common foe!

The common theme was not that the audience was against taking power from the Imperial Valley but against the proposed route through the Mojave Desert. Everyone was in agreement that the I-10 corridor be the first choice.

The audience was livid that the LADWP tesspassed on private property to place survey markers along the roposed route. In their defence, the new General Manager ordered them all removed last fall. But the public relations damage was done and can't be undone.

I did have the opportunity to speak for three minutes, I mainly talked about the cumlitive affect that this project along with the 100 proposed wind generator, god-knows how many solar projects, as well as the marines taking Johnson Valley. How all these projects together is going to destroy the Mojave Desert as we know it.

I wish more of you were able to attend.
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                        X