• Show
Clear All

• Friends of Johnson Valley 2nd Meeting 7-1

After a very successful first meeting of the Friends of Johnson Valley, we
    have scheduled the second and reserved a room so we can all hear Dave a
    little better. Again trying to stay in a central location for everyone, the
    next meeting will be in Redlands.

[roll]409[/roll]
    Last edited by sarah; 06-24-08, 11:26 AM.

Not sure what this is all about and why Harry would be forming this group, when he was already at our FOJV first meeting supporting FOJV...but, 2 groups doing the same thing are better than 1. This was in the In Gear today:

Partnership for Johnson Valley makes presentation to Marines PDF Print E-mail
    Written by Harry A. Baker
    Thursday, 05 June 2008
    The Partnership for Johnson Valley, formed to represent outdoor enthusiasts and business interests in the area, seeks new members to help support continued access in Johnson Valley

Twentynine Palms, CA - The Partnership For Johnson Valley (PFJV) presented a PowerPoint brief to the Marine staff at the Twentynine Palms Marine Base. The brief was related to the military's proposed expansion into the 185,000 + acres of the Johnson Valley Open Access area currently managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The presentation was part of an ongoing effort by the Partnership to exchange information with the Marines, to show the impact that the proposed expansion would have on the diverse group of stakeholders in the open multiple use area. The affected stakeholders include, but are not limited to: land owners, Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts, geocachers, historical organizations, mineralogists, equestrian groups, RC plane organizations, the film industry, other business groups, and youth groups. "The Partnership is reaching out to all of the stakeholders that could be impacted by the expansion of the Twentynine Palms Marine Base," commented Harry Baker, Chairman of PFJV.

The original meeting with the military was orchestrated by Ed Waldheim, a past commissioner of the California OHV Commission, who represented OHV interests in Sacramento for ten years. At the original meeting a coalition of groups were asked to participate to represent local stakeholders. They were subsequently invited back by the military to give a formal presentation of issues discussed.

After the second military meeting, the coalition participants agreed to form a Partnership, and establish themselves as a non-profit 501(c)(3) under the California Trail Users Coalition. The nonprofit organization was formed to represent the interests of all affected stakeholders in the Johnson Valley proposed expansion. “Johnson Valley is critical to the film industry because it represents the largest open unrestricted area in California where filmmakers can shoot 360 degree desert scenes. Without Johnson Valley's diversity and ease of use, the Industry will simply leave California to film elsewhere,” said Sheri Davis, Director of the Inland Empire Film Commission. Ms. Davis adds, “Annually, Johnson Valley open-access represents 10,000 California-based film industry jobs.”

The leadership of PFJV has been cooperatively working with the military and the affected Stakeholders in an effort to explore alternatives to the proposed land expansion. The Partnership For Johnson Valley, is led by Harry Baker, Chairman with Mark Howlett as Executive Director, and Wayne Nosala as Secretary.

To help with these efforts, the Partnership is asking for the support of other interested stakeholders in the area, and is seeking new members to join the Partnership For Johnson Valley. For those interested in assisting this effort, please contact Harry Baker or Mark Howlett at Info@PFJV.orgThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it .

About The Partnership for Johnson Valley: Our Mission is to unite the many people who enjoy the diverse activities available in the multiple-access area of Johnson Valley. Our charter is to promote responsible recreation and the use of desert resources through conservation and education. The goal of the Partnership is to ensure public open-access to the area in the present, and for the future generations who Live, Work, and Recreate in Johnson Valley.

http://www.ingear4x4.com/index.php?o...d=322&Itemid=1

Comment

Interesting that you should post this.

I spoke to someone tonight regarding this group. The California Trail Users Coalition. This group is a different in that it represents EVERYONE that is affected by closures. This group represents not just Jeep and offroad users, it represents EVERYONE that has an interest in losing land. Business owners, the Film industry, users of all kinds. And it is not JUST for JV, its for all closures.

It should be interesting to see what they are capable of doing. Ive heard that they have the military's ear.

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

This is what it will take to convince the marines. This is great that this group is bringing all interested parties together in a unified group.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

It's exactly what FOJV is standing for....anyone who could be affected by the closure, not just off-roaders...hence "Friends of" Johnson Valley.

There is a lot of drama on P4x4 about this...Harry spoke at the 1st meeting and assured us a seat at all the meetings. Next thing we hear they had a "secret" meeting, this was announced, and FOJV had no seat. Enough b!tch session, I want to keep this positive.

It is very important to get as many people as possible to join up with FOJV. Heck, join both FOJV and PFJV. The more #'s the better!!

Maybe we can get a carpool down to the meeting for those that live in the H-D.

Sarah can you put up a roll-call link for me or give me "edit" rights to do myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
            Sarah can you put up a roll-call link for me or give me "edit" rights to do myself?
            All subscribers can create calendar events (including roll calls)
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
              It's exactly what FOJV is standing for....anyone who could be affected by the closure, not just off-roaders...hence "Friends of" Johnson Valley.

There is a lot of drama on P4x4 about this...Harry spoke at the 1st meeting and assured us a seat at all the meetings. Next thing we hear they had a "secret" meeting, this was announced, and FOJV had no seat. Enough b!tch session, I want to keep this positive.

It is very important to get as many people as possible to join up with FOJV. Heck, join both FOJV and PFJV. The more #'s the better!!

Maybe we can get a carpool down to the meeting for those that live in the H-D.

My understanding is that California Trail Users Coalition/Partnership for Johnson Valley was organized before FOJV. It shouldnt make a difference, we all have the same goal

CTUC/PJV was invited to give a powerpoint presentation to the military. It was not a "meeting" so to speak, as there was no discussion. They gave the presentation and left. Hence, no "secret meeting"

I think FOJV needs to work with CTUC/PJV to obtain our mutual goal. I realize that the FOJV's intent is to involve all the "stakeholders" (Rockcrawlers, Quads/bikes, business, film industry, etc.) as well, but CTUC/PJV has already accomplished it and is moving quicker. I personally dont care what group is successful.

On a side note, Im getting ready to print the petition again for the military. If you havent signed it, please do so...!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveJohnsonValley/

Tam
              Last edited by JeepGal; 06-06-08, 06:27 PM.
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Please sign the roll call if you are planning on going - maybe we can get a carpool together for the high desert people: [roll]409[/roll]

Comment

Info on the other meeting

Originally posted by Harry Baker
                  The Partnership For Johnson Valley cordially invites you to attend an OHV Roundtable Meeting to discuss the proposed Twentynine Palms Marine Base Expansion. OHV is one of the many affected stakeholders in the Johnson Valley Open Access Multiple Use Area.

This meeting is one of an ongoing series of meetings being held by the Partnership to meet with Affected Stakeholders (OHV and non-OHV) to exchange information and discuss the dynamics of the proposed Marine Base
                  expansion into Johnson Valley.

Ed Waldheim will allow the Partnership to hold the meeting at his office. The information is as follows:

Date: Monday, June 16, 2008
                  Time: 10:00 AM

If you are unable to attend in person, you may participate via a conference line.

Please RSVP by Friday, June 13, 2008, and indicate via email if you will be attending in person or via conference line. The conference number and access
                  code will be provided by return email.

Sincerely,

Harry Baker
                  Chairman
                  Partnership for Johnson Valley
                  HarryBaker@...
                  WWW.PFJV.ORG
                  818-705-3930 - office
                  818-370-3582 - cell
                  Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Just to let you know that Dave had to postpone the meeting one week to July 1st:

The meeting on the 25th needs to be postponed.

The primary reason is my work schedule. I was asked to be in St Louis tomorrow and I was able to get that moved. Until this morning. Turns out I'm traveling anyway.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

There are many things happening regarding our efforts and I feet that it is very important that we have clear and concise communication around those 'events'.

I have rescheduled our room at the Shakey's for a week from tomorrow.

July 1st at 7:30 PM.

Please spread the word. I'd rather be inundated with the postponement info than have someone make the drive for nothing.

If anyone has any questions, please call me at 714 615 8507.

On the agenda for our next meeting.

1) Website design
                    2) PFJV meeting information
                    3) OHV Leadership Council meeting information
                    4) Overall status
                    5) Recap of the 29 Palms base tour
                    6) Begin the process of selecting our new leadership and forming this orginization
                    7) Layout the 'next steps'

It's a big one. I'm sorry about recheduling to a holiday week, but time is of the essence, especially now.

Talk to you soon.

Dave
                    Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X