Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojave Road Rehab April 25-27, 2008

Anyone interested in taking a trip to the desert??? This is a notice of a CA4WDC project to rehab/repair a section of the Mojave Road. The project is scheduled for April 18-27, 2008, with the major effort to take place the weekend of April 25-27.

====================================

Subject: Mojave Road Rehab and Reconstruction Project

Mojave Road Rehab and Reconstruction Project

Sponsored by the CA4WDC South District
    April 18-27, 2008

Background: The portion of the Mojave Road that goes around Piute Hill to the south follows the old Underground Telephone Cable Route. The road, as it approaches the top of Piute Hill, literally hangs on the side of the hill. There are several small washouts and one very large one that need to be filled in. The alternative to fixing the road is closure.

The National Park Service manages the Mojave Road in this area. Park Superintendent Dennis Schramm and South District Vice President Harry Baker have entered into an agreement to have their two organizations work together to repair the washouts.

A major work project is planned for April 18-27. The park service will provide the equipment and supplies needed to repair the road and the South District with help from others in the Off Road community will provide the manpower. The project will entail throwing a lot of rocks! Basically we'll be moving rocks from a stockpile area and filling in gabions and building water bars

The area to be repaired is best accessed from the west. Enter the Mojave Road from the intersection of Lanfair Road and Cedar Canyon Road and travel east on the Cable Route to the camp area at the base of Piute Hill. The road is not appropriate for other than 4 wheel drive or high clearance vehicles.

Volunteers are welcome any and all days during the project with the main push being on the weekend of April 25-27. Jeep trailers, shovels, picks and
    pry bars will be helpful.

There will be a dinner for all volunteers on Saturday, April 26.

For questions or to RSVP contact Harry Baker at 818-705-3930 or bakerhab@aol.com

Here are some pictures of that section of the road that I took last November:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

I am very familliar with this wash out, it was really bad two years ago. I crossed it it my big truck with a pucker factor of 9+. It is great that volunteers are going to repair it. I'm going to see if I can get away that weekend.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
    X