X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: SBNF Balloon Project

This message was posted to the SBNF-AAT Yahoo group:

Subject: Balloon project

Hi everybody - I have a little project that I need your help on here on the Mountaintop District. We've become very concerned about the impacts of balloons on some of the animals on the forest. Virtually every time I'm out in the field, I find balloons on the ground in various stages of decomposition. They're everywhere. A recent autopsy of three bighorn sheep that were found dead by the limestone mines found a pile of balloons in each of their stomachs. We don't know if ingesting the balloons contributed to their deaths but it certainly couldn't have been good for them. No doubt other animals are eating them too.

If you encounter balloons while you're out in the field, could you please do the following:
    Collect the balloons and get them to me with the date you found them, and GPS the balloon collection site or put a dot on a map where you found it (if you don't have GPS)

I anticipate doing this data collection for a full year. At the end, we'll be able to make a map showing all of the collection site plus display how many balloons drop onto our part of the forest in a year. This is just something I would like people to do while they're out in the field - and not create any extra work for anybody.

Thanks, Robin

Robin Eliason
    Mountaintop District Biologist
    San Bernardino National Forest
    P.O. Box 290,
    42300 North Shore Drive
    Big Bear Ranger Station
    Fawnskin, CA 92333-0290
    Phone: 909.382.2832
    Fax: 909.866.8192 (or 866.2867)

Email: reliason@fs.fed.us
    Every Species Counts
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

wow, I remember doing the balloon thing when I was a kid, got the postcard back and everything, never thought about the environmental side of it... but we didn't think about that stuff back then. now I can't imagine a school doing that...
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

my daughter just released a balloon the other day, because her friend told her if she attaches a wish, it'll come true. I'll show her this post as to why it is not a good idea.

Comment

they need to outlaw helium, just kidding. I never thought of that, I always wondered where they go as you watch them fly away. I will keep my eye out for balloons

Comment

well i went out to cnf 4-12-08 and found 3 rubber balloons and one mylaar. sorry i didnt get the l/l but they were on the Indian truck trail if that helps. i did pick them up but the ended up in the trash can at the gas station sorry i did keep them for you. if there is any other info i can help you with let me know.

i want this jeep

Comment

Working...
          X