Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what unit to buy?

Hello everyone,

I am at the point i should purchase a good topo off road nav system of some sort. I know there are a ton out there. I know there will be various opinions, but feel free to let me know your thoughts on a great "all around" unit with a link to where you purchased yours.

Thanks in advance!
    Brett

I am very interested to try the Pioneer App Radio. I use my iPhone for navigation a lot. I have an app called "Topo Maps". You download high resolution USGS quads before you hit the trail. The Pioneer App Radio will display the iPhone screen on its 7 inch touch screen natively. I havn't put these two togeather yet. The App Radio only came out two or three months ago. If you are already using an iPhone this makes a cheap setup(App Raido $299). If not there are probably better options. I've still got my Garmin eTrex Legond CX that I have used for years. Its got a tini screen but does just about everything. Even the on the road turn by turn driving driections work well.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Units speciffically for topo maps are usually hand helds with tiny screens, not too good for driving. I have the Garmin 1450 but the topo map keeps locking up and shutting off. It starts back up on it's own, but it's a pain in the @$$.

I have a full size lap top with Delorme Topo Map installed. I plug in a receiver in the USB port and I have a GPS with a 15" screen. I don't use it much anymore because it's having problems. The GPS mouse is really cheap like $35.00. Also, it would be best to have a vehicle mount for it.

I don't know the capibilities of the tablets and how tough they are but that might be a great option for using the Delorme topo software.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I've been mostly happy with my Garmin Nuvi 500. It comes with topo maps and is road friendly as well. Dust and water resistant is a nice plus on the unit.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          I've been mostly happy with my Garmin Nuvi 500. It comes with topo maps and is road friendly as well. Dust and water resistant is a nice plus on the unit.
          x2

I miss some of the features my 60CS had but the 500 is a great unit.
          Check out .

Comment

Unfortunately no single unit does everything I need it to do

What screen size are you looking for?

I have zero experience with smart phones but there are some good apps out there. Downside is small screen.

I agree with Mike & Chuck that the Nuvi 500 is a good unit with a midsize screen.

Garmin Map62st is a top of the line handheld and a great unit. Downside is small screen.

Lowrance HDS5 Baja has a great screen and fantastic refresh but it runs on old technology

DeLorme PN-60 has the capabilities to add satellite images and SPOT connect. Downside is small screen.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Been very happy with the Garmin MAP 376C
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I think this unit will work for your off road needs.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/51192
                04 Rubi
                00 XJ

Comment

The new Garmin Montana. Comes with Topo maps, have to buy the street maps. Has all the features of the Oregon 450T plus this one talks to ya which is really handy going to a place, then using the geocache, topo, trail features.

Screen is small but we have no problem seeing ours while out and about.

Comment

Are u going to use the unit only in the vehicle or do are you going to use it to back back?
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was planning on just using it in my Jeep for overlanding as I have another regular Nuvi for highway driving for work. I don't hike that far and when I do I am normally on a trail or sorts so I don't see the small size and portability of a handheld as too much of a factor for me. The Nuvi 500 or Lowrance Elite-5m Baja Off-Road GPS both seem to be pretty good units for my needs. Now it's about finding a great online deal on one!

B

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                        Thanks everyone. I was planning on just using it in my Jeep for overlanding as I have another regular Nuvi for highway driving for work. I don't hike that far and when I do I am normally on a trail or sorts so I don't see the small size and portability of a handheld as too much of a factor for me. The Nuvi 500 or Lowrance Elite-5m Baja Off-Road GPS both seem to be pretty good units for my needs. Now it's about finding a great online deal on one!

B
                        I unlike the others do not like my Nuvi 500. The screen resolution does not treat the topos well and it is slow to respond. The screen is too small for my eyes. I am thinking about the the larger Lowerance units.

Mike
                        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                          Been very happy with the Garmin MAP 376C
                          I really like mine too, unfortunately it is discontinued.

Mike
                          "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

I'm late to this but if you have an android phone give this a try for free
                            https://market.android.com/details?i...YXZpZ2F0b3IiXQ..

If you end up liking it then its $10. I cant think of anything it cant do. GPS airtime is his suplimental free program to make GPS signals work better out of cell reception, but I have not had a issue
                            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Discontinued 276C. I have at least 10 buddies who use it on our dirtbikes and Jeeps. Mine still looks and works like new with over 100,000 miles on it, half of that offroad. It's survived more dirtbike crashes than I have. It does everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X