X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New USGS electronic maps

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...&uiarea=2)/.do

Originally posted by Silversand
    No, the Next Generation I refer to is not Star Trek, it is the up-coming USGS digital 1:24 000 topographic maps quads being produced in a staggering 37 layers of detailed digital information! Its like having 37 acetate topo sheets each with a different geographical set of features on it. Wow.

Every USGS 1:24 000 topographic map is currently available in a little-known format called: GeoPDF. Say what? GeoPDF? What the heck is that? Man, these must cost a fortune.

GeoPDF is a spatially-enabled Adobe PDF electronic document that allows the user to turn their mundane Adobe PDF reader software, with a downloadable plug-in, into a nearly fully-featured geographical information system (GIS) able to pump out routes and tracks in a format convertible into popular GPS files. Additionally, PDF reader can perform analytical computations on any GeoPDF USGS quad on your laptop; this computation technology typically reserved, in the past, for expensive GIS software costing tens of thousands of dollars.

Where in the devil would you get such detailed USGS topographic maps of every square kilometer of the USA in this GeoPDF format anyway? And, what pray tell will each topo map cost?

Every USGS quad is available freely at no cost in GeoPDF format. Zoom into your area of interst, and select the PIN tool to stick a virtual pin into the area of the map you want a topographic coverage of, click the PIN's balloon, and select the free product to download. To grab the Geo-PDF plug-in, download it from the maker TerraGo.

Everything is done in Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 or 9, get it free from Adobe. Once the plug-in is installed into Adobe Reader, load the USGS quad, and use the GeoPDF plugin to hotlink a selected point directly to Google Earth (cool!); use it to trace your route to determine distance, bearing, azimuth; and get this, enable it's GPS link when you plug your USB GPS into your laptop (or, desktop) as you travel across the outback in your truck camper to track your progress in real-time

Why download electronic USGS topographic quads when you apparently have them as an extension to your GPS system? Read the fine print on your supplemental GPS software DVD/CD: in almost every instance, your GPS data software will limit you to $40 or $50 dollars worth of USGS and marine navigation and other downloads from your GPS manufacturer's repository. After that you're on your own (i.e. get ready to pay $$$).
    Using the GeoPDF system, you have access to every USGS topographic produced for free. Pretty good incentive, eh?

Back to Next Generation. Although the USGS is currently making available their 1st Generation GeoPDF topo maps in hyper-compressed 4000dpi resolution single layer raster (read: scanned) quads, their Next Generation 37 layer upgrade has not been fully generated as yet. This isn't too big a deal, as the raster GeoPDF and TerraGo plugin functionality is still light-years ahead of anything else on the market....and, it's free

To conclude, the 1st users of this GeoPDF technology were the US DOD, and a little-known "Agency" called National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (don't even ask who they are); now, the USGS and US Forest Service is fully on-board, and kicking out Public Domain maps using it.

Silversand-
    I will not have a chance to check this out until next week but it looks pretty cool.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Nice find, worked well!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Winblows only... :thumbs_do
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Very cool. Thanks
        Check out .

Comment

Okay, I installed The GeoPDF toolbar, but now what? How do I get to the maps? I guess I need simple step by step instructions. Sorry. Can anyone help?

Thanks

[COLOR="Red"]Never Mind! I think I figured it out[/COLOR]
          Last edited by Roger; 03-22-09, 09:36 AM.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

takes longer to type than it does to do, and I'm short on time.

Basically, on the USGS site, Zoom and Center where you want the map, then zoom in some more with the sliders. On the right side of the screen near the thumbtack image, there is a radio button to set the pin. Click on the radio button, the cursor changes, and you then you click on the map where you want to set the thumbtack.

now, click on the thumbtack you just set, and it gives you map options. Pick your map, choose download, and then it will save to your <wherever> and you open it in Acrobat.
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

??????

Okay, maybe I'm mildly retarded! No matter what I do I can't use the maps of SB or Big Bear. I get the error saying that it can't open the file or it may be corrupted. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe and TerraGo. Any suggestions?

Comment

Help

never mind, i figured it out.

Mike

Comment

gps for of road

looking for a gps unit that has off road capabilities. any suggestions?
                  thanks
                  karl baker

Comment

check out this thread. Lots of opinions and some good referances.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9452
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                    X