X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteor Shower: August 12th, 2007

I found this on another board:

Originally Posted by NASA
    The show begins between 9:00 and 10:00 pm on Sunday, August 12th, when Perseus rises in the northeast. This is the time to look for Perseid Earthgrazers--meteors that approach from the horizon and skim the atmosphere overhead like a stone skipping the surface of a pond.

"Earthgrazers are long, slow and colorful; they are among the most beautiful of meteors," says Cooke. He cautions that an hour of watching may net only a few of these--"at most"--but seeing even one makes the long night worthwhile.

As the night unfolds, Perseus climbs higher and the meteor rate will increase many-fold. "By 2 am on Monday morning, August 13th, dozens of Perseids may be flitting across the sky every hour." The crescendo comes before dawn when rates could exceed a meteor a minute.

And there's a bonus: Mars. In the constellation Taurus, just below Perseus, Mars shines like a bright red star. Many of the Perseids you see on August 12th and 13th will flit right past it. Instead of following the meteor, you may find you have a hard time taking your eyes off Mars. There's something bewitching about it, maybe the red color or perhaps the fact that it doesn't twinkle like a true star. You stare at Mars and it stares right back
    Sounds like fun

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

I'll be watching the Perseids from San Juan Reservoir Sunday night. Great place to go; not much light polution cuz there's nuttin around up there.

Have fun!
    Kurt
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

this sounds really cool, I'll be watching from the foothills, thanks I love this kind of stuff.
      Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

I will be sitting on my front balcony watching them coming from over the mountians as they reflect their trails in the still night waters of the lake. Been watching these every August from there since 1999. Perfect view.
        Kirk
        1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I heard my neighbor talking bout how she was going to look for these showers...did anyone see them?
          -Bob
          '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cetrov View Post
            I will be sitting on my front balcony watching them coming from over the mountians as they reflect their trails in the still night waters of the lake. Been watching these every August from there since 1999. Perfect view.
            No pictures for us city folks? I know you have a camera.

B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
            X