Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to Yosemite, Finally!

It seemed like everyone had been to Yosemite but us! We finally picked a weekend and headed out. We stayed in Oakhurst because the park was booked, except for some ridiculously expensive rooms which we decided to pass up. The drive into the park was about 45 minutes or so - and I don't think there's 5 feet of road that isn't curvy.

We saw the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and went on the tour - which was very nicely put together and quite informative!

We drove to Glacier Point and looked down the three-thousand foot cliffs to the valley floor. On the way to the Point we caught a whiff of a campfire, except it wasn't fading. We found out later that the FS was doing a controlled burn to clear out excess debris alongside the valley road.

We headed down to Yosemite Village and had dinner at The Mountain Room Restaurant, Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. All the reviews stated that the view was so great that it "almost seems like the falls are indeed going to splash onto as you eat because the view is so clear." We found this to be a total lie! You could see the waterfall from maybe 2 tables in the whole joint - and we weren't sitting at one of them. The food was good, although the selection was limited.

We happened to be in the park during the full moon - so we got on the Moonlight Tour! It is a guided (by a FS ranger) open-air tram tour which was completely awesome. We saw the twinkling lights of the climbers making their way up El Capitan and took some 15-second exposures up at Tunnel View.

Finally we did the easy hikes to Bridalveil Fall and Yosemite Falls. Both were spectacular! It was time to head out, and after driving up through Fresno on the way in, Rick wanted to take a more scenic route home. We headed out the north side and must have stopped a good handful of times to take in the scenery.

At one point, we came to a dead stop in the road. We waited patiently until we started moving again. Everyone was out of their cars gazing into the grassy field on the right. So, of course, we had to stop and figure out what was going on! A moma black bear and her baby were grazing the field. They didn't seem to care too much about the crowd gathering not far from them, but we decided to get out of these quickly just in case.

All in all, the park in its entirety is completely breathtaking. The staff who guided our tours and answered our questions were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. We had such a great time!

Entrance to the park is $20 or you may purchase the annual national parks pass for $80. During the week we got right in and practically had the place to ourselves compared to the weekend. If the entrance is piled up they stop taking credit cards, so make sure to bring cash or a check.

I know what you're thinking - where's the pics!? Ok, here they are:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sw33t/s...7600610429200/
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Very nice. I see you had some mid-west company.

Tom

Comment

Saweeet! Do you remember the ranger's names that gave you the tours?
      Jill's freind is a ranger up there. He's way cool.
      Nice pics, thanks for sharin...
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Very nice. I need to schedule another Yosemite trip. It's been about 10 years since the last one. Beautiful place. I bet the full moon was great.

Comment

nice pic's, thanks for sharing! In my younger days I worked and lived in Yosemite Valley, it was awesome!
          Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
            Very nice. I see you had some mid-west company.
            Indeed! It was a nice little family trip!

Saweeet! Do you remember the ranger's names that gave you the tours?
            Jill's freind is a ranger up there. He's way cool.
            I don't ... next time I'll have to think, "What would Russ Chung Do," and take better pictures hehe

Very nice. I need to schedule another Yosemite trip. It's been about 10 years since the last one. Beautiful place. I bet the full moon was great.
            I'd say let's organize a jeep trip, but we didn't see any trails. Now if we were climbers on the other hand ... we just might be in paradise! It might be fun to get a camping trip going - we didn't get a good look at the campsites but they looked a little rustic (and without vacancy!)

nice pic's, thanks for sharing! In my younger days I worked and lived in Yosemite Valley, it was awesome!
            I can only imagine!! The weather, the scenery, the things to do! Wow! The moonlight tour ranger mentioned a big flood that happened there - was it 1998 or so? Hope you didn't get caught up in that!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
              I'd say let's organize a jeep trip, but we didn't see any trails. Now if we were climbers on the other hand ... we just might be in paradise! It might be fun to get a camping trip going - we didn't get a good look at the campsites but they looked a little rustic (and without vacancy!)
              Sarah, those are great pictures of Yosemite.

Campsite reservations in the park fill up about six months in advance. Although there are no Jeep trails inside the park, there are plenty of trails in the National Forest just outside the park. And there are campsites in the NF if we can't get a campsite in the park. Let's plan a wheeling trip to the area next year. Should we do it enroute to/from the CON in mid-summer? or just a separate trip in late spring?
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                Sarah, those are great pictures of Yosemite.

Campsite reservations in the park fill up about six months in advance. Although there are no Jeep trails inside the park, there are plenty of trails in the National Forest just outside the park. And there are campsites in the NF if we can't get a campsite in the park. Let's plan a wheeling trip to the area next year. Should we do it enroute to/from the CON in mid-summer? or just a separate trip in late spring?
                Russ, it might be easier for some of us to get away twice at shorter lengths than a trip that includes the 'Con AND Yosemite. Either that, or we might be rushing through. Instead of missing out completely, if somebody can't make one, they might be able to make the other. Therefore, I vote for two separate trips!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

that has to be one of the most beautiful places on this earth, I was blown away when I went there, we actually stayed in the tent cabins.
                  Hiked all over that place for a week, Kinda life changing.
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

Thanks, Russ. That sounds like an excellent plan! However, based on what I keep hearing about the hiking, like blackzzr mentioned, there may be plenty to do IN the park - except I'm not sure how many trails there really are. How far are the 4x4 trails and what are they rated? It sure was a pain for us to drive in and out of the park every day.

Another thing to consider is that Sequoia NP is just a short veer away from Yosemite when approaching from the south. Darnit, there is just too much to do in this state!!!

Last year, I believe, Tam & Chris stopped at Yosemite on the way home from the Rubicon.

Comment

Working...
                    X