Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING !!!!! graphic photos attached, not for the weak of heart

"A Jeep is crushed after confiscation by U.S. Customs. The Jeep was made in the United States for use in Japan and couldn't be modified to conform to U.S. standards."
    I was on the DOD website and came across this story. With all the mods available to Jeeps I can not figure out what they couldnt change to make it legal other than emissions.
    Dennis
    04 TJ
    4.0/Auto
    RE 4.5 Long Arm
    Rock-It Man Rockers
    33x12.50 BFG A/T
    desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

That is just wrong !

At least part it out !
    JPCooler - The Only Cooler Made for Your Jeep !

Comment

we should start PETJ, people for the ethical treatment of jeeps

Comment

I'm gonna cry...That poor jeep...THOSE TIRES!!! Man that's just SICK...SICK I TELL YA!!
        WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
        [_____]
        (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
        []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
          we should start PETJ, people for the ethical treatment of jeeps
          i second that, its bull:poop:

Comment

Naa... Something is missing here. What port of entry was this? I have been in Junk yards filled sky high with all kinds of motorized vehicles impounded none destroyed. They dont even destroy stuff impounded with tons of drugs found in them.

Everything gets sold at action.
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Here is the link to the story I got the pics from. From what I read on some sites if the vehicle cannot be modified by a government registered shop you either have to send it back to country of origin of have it destroyed. Why would they take the vehicle from you for not complying and then turn around and auction it off? They would still be letting a non conforming vehicle into the country. They probably destroy the vehicle to keep the non conforming vehicle/parts from getting put in the "pick a part" yards and then put out on the highway. That would be a interesting loop hole. Have your car confiscated at port and then go to the salvage yard and buy it back and registered it as a salvaged vehicle.Thus bypassing the modifications.
              http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2...200205027.html
              Last edited by Deamer; 04-18-07, 10:05 PM.
              Dennis
              04 TJ
              4.0/Auto
              RE 4.5 Long Arm
              Rock-It Man Rockers
              33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

the second i saw the pic i thought that it looked weird, just photochopped or something, its a fake..my friends husband is a border guard, they seize tons of cars, and they dont crush em...

Comment

I hate that!
                  Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Damn, I could've used those wheels...and those doors...and the mirrors...probably a lot of stuff off that Jeep that wasn't "non-US-compliant."

That's a shame, a real shame. They could've done what we do with old bombers and such...cut it in half so it is inoperable and cannot be fixed, but you can still 'cannibalize' parts off of it.

Cheers! M2

Comment

Man, am I the only one that would like to see that for real? As long as it ain't mine...
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                        Man, am I the only one that would like to see that for real? As long as it ain't mine...
                        Yes... you sick, sick man Kurt....

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

OK, having read the article, it makes sense. I did three tours overseas while I was in the USAF (now retired), and if you simply abid by the guidelines your vehicle should never meet this fate. I find it hard to believe that the couple that owned this Japanese-specs Jeep were honestly ignorant of the rules. Just less than two years ago I shipped my car back from Chievres, Belgium (one of the locations listed in the article), and they were very thorough in ensuring that the vehicle in question was eligible to be shipped back. I suspect it was more along the lines that they were hoping to get it conformed to US regulations once they got it here (that safety bar would be one of the first things to go). However, had they done some research they could have brought it in as a "non-road use vehicle" (or something like that), I know of several people who have brought in racing/track motorcycles that way.

Still a bummer!

Cheers! M2

Comment

They probably figured the Jeep was made in the US so it should pass the inspection. According to a table on the National highway traffic safety administration website only three years of "non conforming" Jeep Wranglers can be modified to meet the rules. Model years 1993, 1995,and 1998. Probably a lot of vehicles already meet the standards so they dont have to be modified.
                            Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                            the second i saw the pic i thought that it looked weird, just photochopped or something, its a fake..my friends husband is a border guard, they seize tons of cars, and they dont crush em...
                            As far as them not crushing them, here is a quote direct from the US customs website. "Vehicles entering the United States that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed." All the vehicles auctioned off and sitting in impound lots consficated from drug smuggling probably met the safety standards.
                            Last edited by Deamer; 04-20-07, 02:48 PM.
                            Dennis
                            04 TJ
                            4.0/Auto
                            RE 4.5 Long Arm
                            Rock-It Man Rockers
                            33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

Working...
                            X