Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Tall Jeep Owners?

I'm 6'-7". I'm toying with the idea of getting a Jeep as a dedicated trail rig, but I do not it in a stock Wrangler TJ

I know there are tens of thousands of accessories made for Jeeps. What is the best set up/option to squeeze a 6'-7", 300 lbs driver into a Jeep?

I did test drive a new JK today, and I come pretty close to fitting. But $35,000 for a Rubicon Unlimited. Ouch!

Is there such a thing as a TJ Rubicon Unlimited? I know that the 2007 JK has the swaybar disconnects and lockers, and frankly, plushy ride that appeals to me, but I don't know what distinguises a TJ Rubicon.

Am I wasting my time/money looking only at Rubicons? What mod's are needed to build up a Sport or X model?

Regards,

NW
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

there is a TJ rubicon unlimited but was only made for a few years so they are somewhat rare.

for 2007, as a basic separation, the Rubicon differs from the X and Sahara in that it comes with stronger Dana 44 style axles front and rear with selectable hard lockers from the factory, 4.10 gears in the axles, and a 4:1 geared low range in the transfer case with a CV joint yoke-style output.

X and Sahara models come with a Dana 44 rear axle and 4.10 axle gears if specified when you order. i believe you can get a rear locker as an option but i do not know if it is the same as the rubi locker or if it is a LSD type. you can get the electric sway bar disco as an option but I am not sure if this is on the sahara only or the X also. you cannot get the dana 44 front or 4:1 low range TC in the X and sahara models, these come with 2.73:1 with a slip yoke output.

This driveline configuration is pretty much the same for the 03-06 models, only a rear Dana 44 is VERY hard to find except on the unlimited which may have come with these standard from the showroom (i'm not sure). no locker available in 03-06 non-rubi models, no electric sway bar disco either.

about being tall, I have a friend who is 6'-3" and rides in my TJ with no problems, but that extra 4" may be the kicker. Head clearance should be no problem but I would imagine that the leg room could be an issue even with the seat extended fully backwards, especially if you have to push the pedals.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

these may help you gain more leg room if/when you get a Jeep...
      LINK ---> http://www.misch4x4.com/bigboy_brackets.html
      -Bob
      '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

my dad is 6'4 and about 285 he loves driving my 97 tj, he has no problem with any room has tons of head and leg room, if your worried about the extra 3 inches get that extension kit in the link one post up from mine and you should be laughing, hope that helps

Hurricane

Comment

my brother is 6'5", nowhere near that heavy but he has plenty of head room in my 91' YJ.
          :devil: Giffer

Comment

boy in Beatty NV is 6'4 300 pounds been driving a jeep as long as i can remember which really is not that long

Comment

Thanks guys, Steelman, your link is exactly what I've been looking for. As for the rest of you....check with your girlfriends. Those extra couple of inches is the difference between comfort or a very tight fit :-)

I really have no idea what I am looking for in a Jeep. Dunno if I should buy a thrashed but built rig, or a cheap newer rig and build it up, or a new rig and demolish it. Of course, my budget might force my hand :-)
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                Dunno if I should buy a thrashed but built rig, or a cheap newer rig and build it up, or a new rig and demolish it. Of course, my budget might force my hand :-)
                as long as you're not too tall for a TJ , i would recommend buying a used but good condition stock rig and building it up. it's not a DD and you're going to trash it anyway so there's no reason to buy new, and a previously built rig will likely have problems as someone else already trashed it before you and they're probably selling it because it's broken (or the owner is bankrupt because they built it up all at once and it's never been off road - good deal).

plus building up yourself allows you to build to your own preferred specs and anticipated usage. Cheers.
                03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

those look like just what I need! I'm a thick short girl! lol
                  Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

I'm 6'2", and I have no problem in my YJ. The set's all the way back, and my leg is slightly bent at times on the pedals...but only after sitting with the clutch in during long waits in traffic does it tend to cause any discomfort.
                    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                    [_____]
                    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                    []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                    X