Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner Ideas while camping...with NO stove

I recently found myself with out the Coleman camping stove I usually take camping and I am going to be spending a couple of night camping down at Truckhaven this weekend with my 8-year-old son.
    Any suggestions on dinner ideas that can be had with out a stove?
    Thanks!
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Sandwiches with some fruit/raw veggies. My favorite is to stop at the last Subway I see and order a couple of sandwiches dry and add my own condiments later. Always seemed the easiest to me. I always pack in some fruits and veggies so I at least counter all the barley water I usually consume.

Comment

Take some aluminum foil with you. You can throw vegetables and meats into it and make some pretty tasty meals.

We've made hobo stew with this method many times. If you can wrap it, you can cook it. Just toss it into the flame (bring some tongs so that you can retrieve it without bodily injury).

EDIT: I'm assuming you'll have a fire of some type.
      Erik

I fix things.

Comment

We've done the "hobo pie" method as Travelar described a few times now with great results. However, the last time we didn't pack them well enough and they leaked in the cooler and spoiled the meal. You can get a couple of hot-dog cooking sticks or baskets - I bet your son would have a blast with it. We've cooked steaks in them. Here is a pic:
        http://www.myjeeprocks.com/features/...ear_FAQs#Meals
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Mre's Are Pretty Tasty. Country Captain Chicken Is My Favorite.
          They Come With A Neat Heating Bag That Boils By Itself When You Add Water To It.

Comment

Good ideas so far, except I don't think that Von's carries MRE's!
            -Bob
            '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

There Is An Army And Camping Store In Fullerton By The 57 And 91 Fwys That Sells Individual Mres. Thay Have A Great Selection And The Prices Are Fair. He Lives In Sjc So He Isnt Too Far. I Went There To Buy Mine For Shooting Trips.

Comment

wrap up ckicken and wire to manifold while wheeling when your done so is the chicken. or hotdogs on a coathanger.

Comment

you have so many possibillitys, you could take cold fried chiken and patatoe or maceroni salad, chips etc, makes a good meal. or the hot dogs are so easy, they can be cooked with the smallest of fires, almost a bick lighter lol, or you could pre cut all the fixins for some good tacoe's, everythings cold but the meat, heat in foil, or the sandwich is easy and good. best of luck to you, have a great time.
                  Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

YEAH! Hot Dogs on a Coat Hanger FTW!!!!! Best Meal ever!
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Burritos or tamales wrapped in foil and tucked onto the manifold will make nice warm tasty treats for you and your boy at the end of a drive.
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning View Post
                        Burritos or tamales wrapped in foil and tucked onto the manifold will make nice warm tasty treats for you and your boy at the end of a drive.
                        I second this one. I did this one the Rubicon and I had the best lunch on a Jeep trip I ever had. :drool: mmmmmmm tamales...........

Comment

Working...
                        X