Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Builders and self proclaimed know-it-alls: Water Well Drilling?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Builders and self proclaimed know-it-alls: Water Well Drilling?

SO, Tam and I have started on another adventure. We have come to the conclusion that we can no longer survive in a tract home environment, and said environment is not planning on adapting to us anytime soon. So we have decided to look for some property to build a garage . . . I mean Home.

We've been looking for some time now and we keep coming back to the same piece of property. Its on a hill with a 180 degree view of the valley below. Its beautiful. The property is with-in budget, but the problem is the well that was put in is now dry. I dont know enough about wells to even begin to guess why it went dry, but it did. The realitor said there is water on the property, but she isnt sure where. she already dropped the price $30k because the well is dry, so that was nice, but even more would be nicer.

So here is my questions: From personal experience, or something of the sort, does any one know what drilling a well would cost? Obviously prices can, and will, vary, but good guestimates are helpful.

On a similar note, does anyone know how to build a house!

Thanks
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Originally posted by Dukes69
    I've heard tell that Nailer may know something about it???

As far as the well, I think you need to have the ground "sounded"(?) Basically a test to see if there truly is any water down there, and how far down you'll have to go in order to get to it. Drillers charge by depth. I've never had to drill anything in California, but I'd imagine (just like everything else) that it aint cheap. I'd figure out the cost and tack it on top of the 30K discount.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
      I'd figure out the cost and tack it on top of the 30K discount.
      ding ding ding
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

You guys will love having a real house on your own dayum property that you can do what ever you want with.

The whole track home CC&R BS just seem's un-American to me (we did invent that didnt we?).

Anyways, I'm excited for you and Tam, very cool project. Wish I had good info for you, but I'll check into the drilling contractors that I know and see if they have any good advice.

Good timing for buying property and building a home. The tract market is coming to a screeching hault, so property prices are dropping and contractors are hungy for any work. $80 to $100/sf seems to be the norm for track homes these days, not sure about custom, but I could see that doubling.

The buyers market is only going to improve, maybe keep looking for that perfect property.

MP

Comment

I had spoken to the realtor today, she said that they had a well witch out there, and they feel confident there is water. The Perc test is complete, and the Septic is ready to be planned. She seemed very interested in getthing the property sold, and dropped the price without me even asking anything about it. I had mentioned that the poor seller had had the property on the market for a while now, and she replied "That poor seller is my husband " HAHAHAHA...They owe about 100k on it and are willing to carry back 75k on it.

Weve done a bit of homework and anticipate to spend about $125 per sq ft, with us (and our families) putting in alot of sweat equity. Thankfully, we have some talented people in our combined families, my Dad is a plumber, Chris Dad is a woodworker/carpenter of sorts. I think we could tackle just about anything inside.

We would however need a licensed General Contractor to supervise the construction, even if we expedited the entire project. Our lender requires it. So if anyone has anyone theyd like to refer, wed certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your insight and excitement.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I know one I would refer...but he's in the wrong state. So not much help.

You probably already are doing this...but definately have someone else (who isn't related to the seller) look into the water thing (and everything else too). Personally, I would hold the land suspect if it is that good of a price, and has been on the market for awhile. Something is up with it. Is it possible to see if there have ever been any building permits applied for? They may have been rejected due to something which will keep you from building as well. How far do the "full disclosure" laws go?

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it, but I'd hate to see you get stuck with land that you can't build on, and cant sell.

Good luck with it....it is something all of us track home owners have wished we could do at some point (usually when we get that stupid letter telling us the neighbors don't like grinders running at midnight)
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

i am pretty familiar with building homes, and commercial property. i have not had to deal with well-digging though. i know nothing about it.
              as goodtimes has said, i'd deffinatel hire an outside unbiased professional to assess the property before you plunk down your life savings on the property.

i like to feel that i know how a house is designed, built, and its structural integrity. i'd always hire an outside professional to confirm my opinion of the house/property i was going to buy.

go visit the city hall and ask questions about building a new home. it is a big undertaking. there are mountains of fees, legal requirements, erosion control, bla bla bla, that you have to figure in.

as i have explained in the past... i highly recommend you buy some old run down house that already has the sewer, water, driveway, power lines, etc, and knock down all but one wall. you'll then be doing a remodel. just saved yourself a lot of headaches.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                . . . (usually when we get that stupid letter telling us the neighbors don't like grinders running at midnight)
                At least you get a letter. We just get code enforcment!
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  as i have explained in the past... i highly recommend you buy some old run down house that already has the sewer, water, driveway, power lines, etc, and knock down all but one wall. you'll then be doing a remodel. just saved yourself a lot of headaches.
                  Unfortunately, there is not much out here in the way of old homes. Most old homes would be in the "Wine Country" part of Temecula and land prices out there are WELL out of budget.

Last edited by JeepGal; 09-23-06, 11:09 AM.
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Since most of our hillsides in So. Cal. are considered watershed you probably have a good chance of finding water, just how far up the hill might be a factor. And I'm sure the drilling is priced by the foot. Does sound like a great adventure, hope this works out.

Tom

Comment

MJR folks building and remodeling....how cool.

May I suggest buying the property subject to hitting water. Split the cost for a digger, with a max agreed amount/depth. If they come up dry you've lost a few hundred is all. If they hit water you buy the land. The seller gets what they want, you get what you want. If they refuse, I'd probably walk away from that one.

BTW, bulk propane tanks are cheap to rent by the year, the supplier comes out a couple time a year and fills them, and generally they'll let you pay by the month. Nice way to get gas-fired appliances where there's no main.

You may be able to get a general that will just put his name on it. I bouught a half-built place in WA state when I was with the ex. A friend was the general but we sourced all the materials that went in to it. Then he wanted to charge us 15% markup on the materilas we spec'd/sourced. I said no, I don't think so. He put a stairwell in, installed cabinets, hung doors and did finish work. We hired floor installers, painters, and did a lot of work ourselves. Place was 6,000 sq ft on 5 acres with a 4-car detached garage. What I wouldn't give to get that back today. Guess it's worth millions now. The original builder of the shell was growing pot in the basement (3000ft clear span!) and they got busted! We had about $275K in the whole thing.

Good luck!
                      long lost Chris...

Comment

Chris and Tam
                        I know that you said you already have a plumber in the fam . but if I can help you out just let me know , I have done some plumbing in my short time on Gods green earth and every now and then I still do . I wont charge you much just beer ,Pizza, and gas to get there ,hahaha
                        congrates on looking to get out of a track home , I know there is no way I could do it .
                        So let me know if you need help ,I will If at all possible
                        Ps I think I know some one up here in the H.D. that does wells i will try to get a hold of him .
                        A clean jeep is the sign of a sick mind

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye
                          Chris and Tam
                          I know that you said you already have a plumber in the fam . but if I can help you out just let me know , I have done some plumbing in my short time on Gods green earth and every now and then I still do . I wont charge you much just beer ,Pizza, and gas to get there ,hahaha
                          congrates on looking to get out of a track home , I know there is no way I could do it .
                          So let me know if you need help ,I will If at all possible
                          Ps I think I know some one up here in the H.D. that does wells i will try to get a hold of him .
                          Hey James, We really appriciate that. If we end up going this route we would gladly pay you more, in addition to, beer and pizza. Tam's Dad is a plumber, but I'm pretty sure his days of plumbing an entire have since past.
                          Thanks Again
                          -Chris and Tam
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                            May I suggest buying the property subject to hitting water. Split the cost for a digger, with a max agreed amount/depth. If they come up dry you've lost a few hundred is all. If they hit water you buy the land. The seller gets what they want, you get what you want. If they refuse, I'd probably walk away from that one.
                            Thats pretty much where its at now. There are some water witches out this way that will do "free" consultations. If theres no water on the property then the land is junk and we'll find something else.

-Chris
                            Last edited by JeepGal; 09-28-06, 12:45 PM.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                              SO, Tam and I have started on another adventure. We have come to the conclusion that we can no longer survive in a tract home environment, and said environment is not planning on adapting to us anytime soon. So we have decided to look for some property to build a garage . . . I mean Home.

We've been looking for some time now and we keep coming back to the same piece of property. Its on a hill with a 180 degree view of the valley below. Its beautiful. The property is with-in budget, but the problem is the well that was put in is now dry. I dont know enough about wells to even begin to guess why it went dry, but it did. The realitor said there is water on the property, but she isnt sure where. she already dropped the price $30k because the well is dry, so that was nice, but even more would be nicer.

So here is my questions: From personal experience, or something of the sort, does any one know what drilling a well would cost? Obviously prices can, and will, vary, but good guestimates are helpful.

Thanks
                              Had one done when I was lived in Ramona years ago. The permits bla bla and pumps, filters, tanks cost some chump change. The cost really goes up the deeper its drilled. Then Ramona charged me also yearly for having the well.

Then it went dry to boot. The guy across and down the road coulnt use his there was a cow farm and it had to much ammonia. I think that pucker cost me around 20k. It paid for itself over a 5 year period used most of it for landscapig. That was a long time ago.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X