Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aargh

so i'm sitting here at work redrawing entire portion of a few CAD drawings since the part-time draftsperson at our office did everything wrong.

i'm a little more aggravated because it's not like the "everything is completely and totally wrong" kinda thing, it's more like "almost everything is almost right but not enough to use". so now i have to figure out what is right and what isn't, and measure every line to double-check.

:angry:
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

I know how you feel i just got off of work and sometimes you just wanna punch somesones face in... haha
    rant off.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
      so i'm sitting here at work redrawing entire portion of a few CAD drawings since the part-time draftsperson at our office did everything wrong.

i'm a little more aggravated because it's not like the "everything is completely and totally wrong" kinda thing, it's more like "almost everything is almost right but not enough to use". so now i have to figure out what is right and what isn't, and measure every line to double-check.

:angry:
      Well Mike......as a builder I appreciate that you would take the time to make it right, so we can build it. Seems like most of the drawings we get these days are right next to worthless IMO.
      Me? What do I do you ask? Superintendent Roel Construction in San Diego. The guy trying to interpret drawings to subs and project managers and owners. So from me its a great big "Thank you!!" :thumbs_up
      BobO
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Bob, I'm an architect so I'm actually working on the drawings which I would be giving to someone exactly like yourself. I always try to ask "what would the contractor/subcontractor need to know to make sure that they do what we need them to?

unfortunately manpower isn't always available and time is limited, and usually we have to "weed out" lesser important construction details or drawings in hopes of getting the most important information in the drawings. it's all about balance. unfortunately for me our office is slammed right now so i only have limited help available...which explains my 60 hour work weeks.

usually all i hear from contractors is that they hate architects...but there are still a few of us that actually try to do things right...

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
          Bob, I'm an architect so I'm actually working on the drawings which I would be giving to someone exactly like yourself. I always try to ask "what would the contractor/subcontractor need to know to make sure that they do what we need them to?

unfortunately manpower isn't always available and time is limited, and usually we have to "weed out" lesser important construction details or drawings in hopes of getting the most important information in the drawings. it's all about balance. unfortunately for me our office is slammed right now so i only have limited help available...which explains my 60 hour work weeks.

usually all i hear from contractors is that they hate architects...but there are still a few of us that actually try to do things right...
          Mike,
          I know in a unique way what the Architectural world is up against. Much like the contractor: the cost of the work, the cost the owner is willing to pay, the competition of lower cost companies. And a host of other issues.
          You have my respect in the work that you do. You guys are up against alot.
          It is just so easy for contractors to complain. one, its just human nature to complain. Two, they try to cover their incompetence or ignorance concerning work they should know about(:dunno: ) or three they are trying to shift blame for bad or incompetent work (:oops: ).
          Thankfully for me, I work on the larger commercial projects which draws more money and brings in a group of Architects. This doesn't mean everything is drawn out and understood, but rather allows for time for me to speak to an Architect about a area and get understanding of what is wanted.
          Oh dear...I guess I can on and on.... we'll talk on the trail one day. Good discussion though.

Hang in there, and if noone else says it, I do appreciate what you do for us on the jobsite. Consider, where would we builders be otherwise and who else could they blame for their troubles?

BobO:smile:
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Mike,

What firm are you with. I employ an Architect with offices in Santa Monica
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I've always been of the opinion that an Architect shouldn't get a license until they do some work "in the field". I guess I've had too many experiences with plans that look great on paper, but to impliment is sometimes impossible. Have had some of those same issues with Civil Engineers on the current project I am on ($77 million street/infrastructure project).

Come on Mikey, get down here and get your hands dirty!
              -Bob
              '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Bob,

Take that a step further - require _all_ registered Architects and Engineers to put in some field time!

Back when I started in Engineering, _everyone_ put a couple of years in "on the boards" (pre-CAD). Didn't do us any harm. Everyone went to the field too - a procss I still do today with my staff.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
                  Oh dear...I guess I can on and on.... we'll talk on the trail one day. Good discussion though.
                  sounds more like a discussion for an entire weekend's trip...! some time soon...

Comment

Originally posted by steelman
                    I've always been of the opinion that an Architect shouldn't get a license until they do some work "in the field".
                    worked for contractors for 2 summers in college.... i know how to swing a hammer, climb on ladders, drive big rusted half-busted pickup trucks, and curse a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
                      Me? What do I do you ask? Superintendent Roel Construction in San Diego. The guy trying to interpret drawings to subs and project managers and owners. So from me its a great big "Thank you!!" :thumbs_up
                      BobO
                      Roel Construction, I know you guys. Does Terry Cirac still work for Roel?

And BTW, Project Managers don't need Super's to interpret the drawings for them, we just ask questions to make sure you're reading the plans and not just surfing the internet (MJR) all day! J/K

Comment

it's pretty crazy that we have engineers, designers, architects, contractors, and subs all in the same internet forum. interesting how much we have in common outside of the money pit sitting in the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA
                          Roel Construction, I know you guys. Does Terry Cirac still work for Roel?

And BTW, Project Managers don't need Super's to interpret the drawings for them, we just ask questions to make sure you're reading the plans and not just surfing the internet (MJR) all day! J/K
                          Unless your a dam good Project Manager, its become my number one task. To study drawings and tell the manager what he/she missed in his/her take off, or the sequence in which materials need to be installed with what equipment. Rework their schedule with actual possible dates..... Need I go on. The project I am on now is nearing completion. The subs are on auto pilot, so I have a little breathing room to dream about roll overs and rock rash and things of that nature.

I am in San Diego.....don't know about Terry.

Have a great day, see you on the trail,
                          BobO
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                          X