Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation: '94 YJ Recondition

Alright...I'm sorta "restoring" a '91 YJ, it's got the 2.5L, with some sort of lift, cause it's got aftermarket shackles on the leaves. I bout it like that.

Alright the first thing wrong with it is the passenger side Fender. The jeep has been wrecked, and it totalled the fender, and bent the bumper, but there's no frame damage. SO once I find a fender for a good price, that bad boy is getting replaced. Next would be paint. It seems the previous owner forgot to latch the hood, or it came up in the wreck, but the top of the windsheild frame is dinged, and all across the hood where it flew up and hit the windsheild has multiple little dings. No biggie...hammer those out. The hood HAD a lot of bondo on it to cover the itty bitty little dings that could have just as easily been hammered out. So I spent...oh...a week or so chipping that off. Today I started the sanding. I am using 80 grit sand paper with a vibrational sander at the moment...and have sanded smoth most of the old bondo spots where i'd chipped it off. to keep the bare metal from rusting I put ruddy brown primer over it, so once I get all the clear coat off, I'll repaint the jeep red like its stock color.

Also, the interior needs work. It needs new seats, but me being just a teenager...well, those will have to wait. Some seat covers will do the trick until then. The dash cluster needs to be fixed. The gas guage is screwed up, the Engine Temp guage is starting to stick...but the tach, speedometer, clock, oil pressure guage, and amp meter still work! SO, I'ma see if I cant fix those. I need to fix the blower on the heater, and get some velcro to resecure the carpeting down. Then, I'll somehow scrounge up the money to buy an overhead soundbar, and then maybe two speakers that they make that fit between the roll bar and the wheel well. I'll find a center console, just a simple one with a lock, and maybe like an 8" sub to put in the middle of the front seats behind console. The steering wheel needs to be remounted...so I'll just unscrew it an fix it. The alignment need to be fixed. The switches in the door need to be rewired so that when I put the soundbar in the overhead light will work.

Now for the engine work. WELL it needs a new PCV Valve, as the one that's on there is well...broken. The previous over snapped the tube in two and put it back together with electrical tape...so far it hasnt cause any problems. I replaced the air filter that was in it. I just got a cheap FRAM for now till I can get a CAI with a K&N. I changed the oil and oil filter today, and it runs a little quieter now. Eventually I'll put a set of headers on it, and possibly a turbo...don't know about the Turbo yet. Gonna put a Borla exaust sytem on it and take off the muffler that is on it and give it to a buddy of mine who just got a wrangler that is the same year as mine. I'll put Dynomax Glasspacks on it, and it'll be cookin. The tranny will need to be taken out and rebuilt. The synchronizer is messed up and it won't shift into fifth and has a hard time going into reverse, otherwise for 156K miles the jeep runs suprisingly well.

Now for the suspension. I'll probably just keep it the way it is. I may take off the shackles that are on it, and replace them with a 2" lift, and then replace the stock struts. I'll put some 29" inch tires on it. Probably just some simple A/T's or if I wanna go big I'll get 29" TRUXS tires from Super Swamper.

For the Aesthetic and just goodies kinda stuff, I'll take off the rear bumperettes, and either put a rock guard bumper, with swinging tire carrier, or If I wanna go for a more stock look, I'll get simple stainless steel bumperettes. OR I'll get stainless steel rear tube bumper. For the front, I'll get some sorta cool bumper with a hood and headlight guard, or if I get the stainless steel rear tube bumper, I'll put some stainless steel tubes on the front. Then I'ma put a winch on. Nothin special just an 8000lb probably. I'll most likely mount some fog lights on the bumper, and put a lightbar over the top of the jeep. I'll get a stainless steel hood acessory Kit, and get some stainless steel mirrors. Get some chrome door handles, and hinges, and some side tube steps. I'll get new fender flares. The kind with inlettype screw holes...I like them. I'll put some entry guards on it, and get all new door locks and ignition. I'll get new spacers for the inside of the soft top. The ones that are in it are broken. I'll get a strapless Bikini top cause I think they look totally awsome, and maybe some slider halfdoors (What do you guys think about the slider half doors?). I'll get a performance chip put in...and I think I'd be done for a while.

Well what do you guys think? It's gonna be a big project, and it's actually not a whole lot to do, nothing that will require a lot of work. Just a bunch of little stuff to make the old YJ something to respect! If you guys know of anything else I can do to squeeze some Horsepower out of the 4 cyl, you guys let me know ^.^
    Last edited by YJwonderboy; 08-13-06, 05:01 PM.
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Alright, Update!! Here's how things are going. WELL, I haven't really done much. I and still sanding. A little at a time...but it's getting there, I think. I STILL need a fender (Anybody wanna help me out? I dun wanna spend $110 buck plus shipping to buy a new one...and I still have yet to check the salvage yards around here.). The window frame is dinged, and the windshield has a nasty crack down the middle. SOO, I'll just drill holes in the windsheild frame, snatch the dents out, and weld the holes back, grind them smooth, paint over it, and put a new windsheild in...but has YET to be done. It's got Molded carpet interior...and god knows how old it is. It's like oily and gross, and is in dire need of shampooing. I sprayed them down with a water hose today, and let dry in the Alabama Heat. The Backseat came out today. I thought it was gonna be harder to do...but it turns out they only wiegh a couple pounds so I lifted it up and out without a problem. It turns out I've got speaker wire running the length of my vehicle. SO somebody had SOMETHING wired up back there. So, I wrapped the ends in a piece of electrical tape to keep from grounding out my sterio against the tub. Found out the hard way that front seats bolt to the body and the nut is UNDER the car. Lovely! So with a bit of WD-40 I took them out...only to put them back in cause i'd forgottne why I took them out in the first place! I gotta get some plugs for the floor, I'm missing like three or four, and the ones that are in aren't gonna last much longer. I've begun to take the passenger side fender off, (The crunchy one), and I'm having one hell of a time doing it! Cause I honestly can't figure out how the hell it bolts on. I'll just have to look at my manual and see. I STILL need new tires, and the jeep hasn't been moved in two weeks, but it gets started up every day...or two. I'm still torn between what color I want to paint it. Keep it red or go green? I'd love to paint it green, but it'll be a PITA to remove the seats, take off the dash, take off the door panels, SAND everything, clean it all out, paint it, put the dash and door panel, and seat BACK in...yeah. But my opinion is...it'll probably be worth it. I have no clue how I'm gonna do an engine swap later down the road. I don't have the money for the 4.0L, even one the is not rebuilt. oh well. I'ma have to CLEAN my motor when everything is done...cause it's turning pink from all the dust my sander causes. (The jeep is red.) so yeah...I still have my work cut out for me....
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Comment

any pics???
      therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Working...
      X