Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Ships of Borrego

Any one seen these? Cool story though....

Check out this link here
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Cool stories...is this your next big adventure?

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
      Cool stories...is this your next big adventure?

Tam
      Nope...Its certainly has been hot out here but I'm not crazy yet.....though the references showed up twice elsewhere once in a diary of an Army wife of 1860.. cool stories though.
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

CRAP...

Now I want to go search for it...

I've done a bit of desert combing for lost mines, indian petroglyphs, CRASHed military planes.

If you ever want to go a huntin' let me know. I'm up here in the High Dez' so Salton's a few hours away.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH!
          CRAP...

Now I want to go search for it...

I've done a bit of desert combing for lost mines, indian petroglyphs, CRASHed military planes.

If you ever want to go a huntin' let me know. I'm up here in the High Dez' so Salton's a few hours away.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~
          You find another verificaton of a location which doesnt say from sea to sea and I'll join you..........take care of that concusion while your at it
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
            take care of that concusion while your at it

I said lost mines...MINES... not mind.

My mind is right...CRAP!!!

I'll see what I can dig up.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

I wanna go to. Sounds like fun. let me know whenever you are planning on exploring.....

BobO
              "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
              (Charles Wells)

Comment

Looks like somebody beat us to it...

Here

Interesting reading with a bit of message board drama, but cool none-the-less.

Hmmm... what other "lost" things can we find.(aside from my mind LOL)

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH!
                  Looks like somebody beat us to it...

Here

Interesting reading with a bit of message board drama, but cool none-the-less.

Hmmm... what other "lost" things can we find.(aside from my mind LOL)

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~
                  He dissapeared. Theres no boat yet. Just makes it more tasty to go after.
                  Theres some leads nothing solid. Keep looking. You found this what else can you dig up?
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Crash,
                    Keep in mind in that time California was thought to be an Island

[SIZED]http://britain.connectnet.com/Photography/Islandcalif.JPG[/SIZED]

Heres a transcript thanks to your post I just found

The other captains Juan de Iturbe and Pedro de Rosales kept on with their pearl hunting.
                    made shrewd trades with the Indians, often exchanging old clothes and wormy ship's biscuits for pearls. At this point De Rosales drops out of the story.

Iturbe kept on a course up the Gulf of California, which narrowed as he progressed until it again opened out into a large inland sea. He believed he had found the long-sought connection between the two oceans, but when he was in ??° latitude he was forced to abandon that idea. When he turned south he was distressed to find that communication between the inland sea and the Gulf had been cut off.

He sailed around until his vessel grounded. The water continued to recede, leaving his vessel high and dry; and there, the story goes, it was abandoned. All this was in latitude ??°, which is about the south line of San Bernardino County. To make this right, we must assume that the Colorado River was at a high stage and that the inland water he found was the predecessor of the Salton Sea, which was cut off at a time most nopportune for Senor Iturbe.

It is claimed that prospectors have seen the bones of the old ship, rotted in the sands. A traveler asserts that an Indian woman told him that under a certain hill a ship was buried. She told him that many years ago there were some great floods on the desert.

Then the Indians would climb to high lands and live there until the water went away. Her grandfather – “him grandfather, him grandfather” probably - saw a great bird with white wings come floating from “down Mexico way.” It came to the hill she pointed out, and stopped. The water went away and the bird was in the sand. Its white wings fell down, leaving tall bare trees sticking up. After a while the sand blew and blew, and the bird
                    was all covered up.
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Ok....turned some of the rumor finding over to a friend whos a student at one of the colleges in Mexicali. I plain forgot about this until I was sent this map with a marked out area of yes a grounded ship. Ships log is mostly destroyed. Still dont know what ship or whos. The coords put it per the map south of Mexicali. Per Nasa cords put in the middle of Baja. I guess perhaps in the Salada or just east of Cucapa mountains. The ships cargo log and other info will cost money so guess this is where this stops.

97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

Barb and I would love to get in on this. We live up here in the Hi-Dez as well. Time for research and planning...
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
                          Barb and I would love to get in on this. We live up here in the Hi-Dez as well. Time for research and planning...
                          Trying to get records on the Spanish ships from that time is really a pain. This takes someones time thus money.

Legends have it that one of Anza's supply scouts seen it along with the Cucapa indians. One of the problems is the area where it maybe was flooded over and over by the colorado river. It maybe in the Salton sea by now.

Havent checked to see if theres any Cucapa indians around to gab with.
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                            Trying to get records on the Spanish ships from that time is really a pain. This takes someones time thus money.

Legends have it that one of Anza's supply scouts seen it along with the Cucapa indians. One of the problems is the area where it maybe was flooded over and over by the colorado river. It maybe in the Salton sea by now.

Havent checked to see if theres any Cucapa indians around to gab with.
                            Perhaps Barb and I can add something to this adventure. Oddly enough, my wife just met the oldest living Cahuillan (I think that was the tribe) at a lecture about six months ago. It's a very old woman and I'll talk to the wife more about it when I get home from work. They're range is as indicated by the map below. Perhaps if I can get in touch with this woman again, they may have some old legends or something else of use(?)
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

ok heres a petroglyph from Pinto wash. The wash runs into Mexico. The petro supposed to be 400 years old.

Theres a boat drawn in this one.....

I'm getting closer....
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X