Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 axle evolved

here is the deal.
    superior axle has asked a select few of us in the 4 wheeling community to test a new product for the 8.8 axle.
    this new product was just installed in my jeep this evening. the one i am currently running is the first in existance of its type.

we have a new c-clip eliminator that is designed to handle the side loads we wheelers subject our vehicles to on the trail it removes the need for the c clip (obviously), AND has alloy axle shafts with a projected break strength in the neighborhood of 9500 psi!

this new line of superior gear is going to be set up to receive wheel studs that are easily screwed in from the back of the mounting flange for either 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5" wheels. the studs are screwed in rather than having to be pressed to make trail repairs easy if they ever become necessary.

i am very excited to have the opertunity to test this item for them, and plan to hammer it this coming weekend at the "high desert roundup" here in southrn california.

here is another tidbit on this thing. it widens the 8.8 wheel mounting surfaces from the stock 59.5" to a great 61-3/8".

there have been a few key points that deterred some of you from buying the 8.8 axle. this sweet little package appears to address all of them.
    you'll get the wider WMS-WMS, eliminate the c -clip, have the alloy axle shafts, AND have it all made right here in the good ol' USA.

results of my testing will be posted as i get information.
    if you have any questions about this, feel free to ask, and i'll do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by blkTJ; 05-24-06, 11:05 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

sounds interesting . . . nice watch
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

that would be my watch. thank you.

YJ Master
      Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

Very cool stuff. About time someone started to offer stuff for the 8.8. This is really going make the 8.8 a no brainer choice for me when I get another Jeep.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
          Very cool stuff. About time someone started to offer stuff for the 8.8. This is really going make the 8.8 a no brainer choice for me when I get another Jeep.
          It is a great idea if you already have an 8.8, if you are upgrading, then go with a 9", it already has no c clip.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
            It is a great idea if you already have an 8.8, if you are upgrading, then go with a 9", it already has no c clip.
            I have one and will follow this. I know the 8.8 is a strong axle but to go the extra mile and elimnate the c-clip would certainly sway my decision. It would move that mod up to the top of things to do.
            Cool deal Erik.

Comment

maybe this thing will hit the market about the same time I'll be looking to upgrade my rear axle...
              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

The kit is slated for release in early July
                YJ Master
                Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

In the market

I think I'll wait for Erik's review, but as you may know, I'm looking to upgrade from the D35 currently in the wife's Jeep.
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

so far so good. on the street, i have logged in some miles at ~75 mph for long drives,and there has been no heat issues, nor anything else to worry about.
                    ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                      so far so good. on the street, i have logged in some miles at ~75 mph for long drives,and there has been no heat issues, nor anything else to worry about.
                      Having some dang problems though with the fronts eh?
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
                        Having some dang problems though with the fronts eh?
                        Read my mind.... hee hee hee
                        Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

well, i gave it a good test over the weekend. i was actually surprised the front axle went as opposed to the drivers rear axle. it was in an undercut with the tire wrapping around itself.
                          the superior axle held strong and had no issues whatsoever.

i'll have to open upo the front differential to see what all i did to it. the warn alloy axle exploded into bits in there, and there may be some other issues to resolve as well from the breakage.

well, i was not babying it out there

ERIK

Comment

Hey Erik, sorry to hear of the axle breaking when it was the other end you were testing. You'd think a u-joint or a hub would have gone first. It will be interesting to hear how it works out.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                              Hey Erik, sorry to hear of the axle breaking when it was the other end you were testing. You'd think a u-joint or a hub would have gone first. It will be interesting to hear how it works out.

B&T TJ
                              well, i had CTM'S in there so i would hope the u joint wasnt the weak link. i agree with the hub theory though.
                              ERIK

Comment

Working...
                              X