Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Planes

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
    Hey, the Sabre is really awesome. And a Typhoon? That's one of my favorite WWII birds. I have Holmans plans for a .60 size Tempest, and may order his 72" span Typhoon. He has laser cut parts for them and cowl and canopy.

Go figure, another RC'r. I was heavy into the hobby when I came down from Seattle in '92. I was just getting into giant-scale, flying down in Trabuco Canyon with the club down there. They are now called Trabuco Flyers and we just re-joined last month after almost 10 years being away.

Since I can't/don't ride bikes anymore and my son has expressed interest we've take up the hobby together. Got a trainer built, flew it the first time last weekend - no crashes! At least nothing major. He's learning on a buddy box, Nick is 11.

I'm just building a .46 size Sig Kouger, it's kind of a jet looking thing and I'm using a Canadian camoflaged F86 to model the coloring after. I like to paint. I'll put some sidewinders under the wing just for fun.

The electrics have really caught on haven't they?

Guess we better get off Nagal's thread.....
    Ok - back from our cruise - started a new thread

My Typhoon isn't the WWII Hawker, but this one:
    http://www.rchobbies.org/parkzone-typhoon.htm

I'm really enjoying the electrics - assuming I get done with all of my "first day back" stuff today, might order a Formosa pattern bird.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Cool Jeff.
    I'm envious of your trip. How was it???

You'll have to come down to Trabuco Canyon sometime and visit the RC club and facility there. 450X50' paved runway, club shack, bbq's, shaded pit areas, it's pretty neat and a lot of fun. About 60 paid members, it's like a country club for RC old-timers and few youngsters too.

Comment

Isn't that the old Flying Falcons airstrip? If so, I've been past it once or twice when I lived in Tustin Ranch.

We had a blast on the trip. There were 450+ Parrotheads - I think Carnival will remember us for a _while_

Raised over $45K for Breast Cancer Research (the sponsoring clubs designated charity). Included in that was the demise of my beard and mustache - 5 of us volunteered to "donate" our facial hair - raised over $700 just in that alone

Had that caterpillar on my upper lip since '73.

Online now trying to pick a powerplant for my Great Planes Corsair - trying to decide between an outrunner and a geared inrunner (leaning towards geared based on the video)
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY

Comment

Congrats on your fundraiser, sounds like a terrific event. How can you miss on a cruiseship???? We have an Alaskan and a Carribean cruise sometime in our future. Mostly our exotic vacations sit in our driveway in the form of a motorhome and a jeep

Yes, the Flying Falcons disbanded with some political infighting some years ago and shortly thereafter Bruce Moore put a group back together out there under a lease with the landowner. They are now called the Trabuco Flyers.

There are a half dozen of the guys left that were there when I was active with them almost 10 years ago. My son was just born when I left to go ride dirtbikes and then all kinds of bikes - I have two of six left in the garage yet to sell. Anyway, it was like old home week there, we had a very warm welcome back and have made it down there a few times this year to start flying again. It's a great hobby.

I'm not familar with electrics so your technology is greek to me. But it sounds like you have a great enthusiasm for it. Electrics were just getting started when I quit 10 years ago, as were ARF's. Heck, most of the kits have been discontinued, but now you can buy them already built. I went for a computer radio this time around; aren't IC's amazing?

Comment

"Inrunner" is a typical electric motor - usually they are run with a gearbox to allow the motor to turn at a higher rpm. As an example - the motor on my Combatwing is 3000"kv" - or 3000 rpm per volt. On a nominal 12V LiPoly battery, that's 36,000 rpm at the prop (and 3000kv is towards the "small" side)

Outrunners, the whole outer case turns - not as fast - but torquey as hell.

Compuree radio is a must these days - I have dual servo rates, adjustable trims, and custom combinations at the flick of a switch. I run dual aileron servos on several planes - pop the switch "on" and the elevators and ailerons are coupled - as you'd imagine the plane will loop in it's own skin that way. Can set them up as flaps for landing too.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Working...
          X