Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone & gas mileage

Hi Fellow Jeepsters,
    I've been researching on the internet regarding acetone to your gas tank to improve gas mileage in lieu of a recent article in JP Magazine. Just curious as to if any of you have done this, if it helped, any bad side effects (wearing of the seals,parts). Just curious.

If you have been researching, you would have found that it is all BS. Your research isn't very good.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
      If you have been researching, you would have found that it is all BS. Your research isn't very good.
      Be nice. No need to bite his head off.
      Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
        Be nice. No need to bite his head off.
        Al is good at that.

That aside, I've heard alot of people talking about doing this. It does sound like a crock of crap. whats the research say?
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

research varies

Research varies, people think its bullshit or it's really helped them out. Results are varied. Science makes sense that it would reduce the surface tension of the gasoline and it would boost efficiency. I figure I can drop 5 bucks to give it a try for awhile. Crap, gas is 2.40 a gallon. Even if its bogus as some say, what can it hurt. You don't even add that much to the gas tank, about 2 ounces per 10 gallons. It isn't as if the gas price could hurt the wallet more.

Comment

I read some info over on my Dodge boards. A lot of people tried it and and it was around an 85% satisfaction rating from the pople.. Most people saw improved mileage, while others saw no effects at all.
            -Rick
            -Quadratec Online Customer Support Team
            -The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

Comment

Just so I'm clear, are we talking about the same acetone that you would pick up in the paint department at Lowe's or Home Depot?
              -Bob
              '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

thanks for the info 2DoorXJ!!!!!! :-) Steelman, yep, its the acetone from your local hardware store, or even acetone that is used for nail polish. only stating the nail polish kind because if it doesn't work, then you don't have a whole darn can sitting around.

i'm taking a road trip in about a week. i'm going to give the acetone a try then since i'll be racking in highway miles. i'll use w/o acetone on the way there and acetone on the way home. get a good idea of what the mpg varies. thanks for all the posts and info on this topic. always nice to bounce car ideas off fellow jeepsters.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepmuddin247
                  thanks for the info 2DoorXJ!!!!!! :-) Steelman, yep, its the acetone from your local hardware store, or even acetone that is used for nail polish. only stating the nail polish kind because if it doesn't work, then you don't have a whole darn can sitting around.

i'm taking a road trip in about a week. i'm going to give the acetone a try then since i'll be racking in highway miles. i'll use w/o acetone on the way there and acetone on the way home. get a good idea of what the mpg varies. thanks for all the posts and info on this topic. always nice to bounce car ideas off fellow jeepsters.
                  Cool, definately let us know the results! I discovered that when I filled my gas tank up this week, it doesn't hold as much as it did last week. John Bull pushed the stock skid plate UP a little! Maybe the acetone will give me a few more gallons per tank now that it holds less! :thumbs_up ...(not gonna hold my breath!)
                  -Bob
                  '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

what are the properties of acetone?
                    and its corosiveness?
                    I have seen a lot of snake oil before, but little has as much energy potential as petrolium, so if acetone has more energy reserves than fuel, why do we mess with fuel? unless it has negative effects
                    so, has anyone done any long term testing to what it does to a engine, such as does it remove the film of lubricant between the rings and the cylinders? causeing a gradual erosion of compression?
                    or is it just upping octane, Jeeps are low compression engines this is not needed
                    or what?
                    After all the Acetone thing comes up every 6 months since the oil embargos of the 70s, so why do we still use petroleum if it works?
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

So any updates from those who have tried it?
                      -Rick
                      -Quadratec Online Customer Support Team
                      -The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DoorXJ
                        So any updates from those who have tried it?
                        My dad has worked for Amoco/BP his entire life, and currently holds a position as chemistry lab manager. Rick and I mentioned something about this topic to him when he was visiting a couple of weekends ago, and he was very shocked that anyone would even consider trying this. He even went so far as to ask some BP experts about it, who were also horrified at the idea. My brain doesn't do or retain science well, but something about acetone's low evaporating point and its corrosive nature don't mix well with your engine/fuel lines. Plus, isn't it expensive?
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Eats the seals out of your fuel system too

This "miracle cure" goes back to the days of dial up BBS's...........................
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY
                          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

thanks Sarah
                            I always believed that it would corrode out a engine, and that it would was oil off of places it needed to be
                            I have seen people spouting it's benefits for 20 plus years but never seen them stick to it and have seen some messed up engines by guys who tried it longterm. I cannnot say if the acetone messed up the engines because these idiots tried every snake oil coming down the pipe.
                            As long as gas prices continue to rise you will see people try anything to squeeze out a extra mile or two with little thought of what they are doing to their engines.
                            And those who try stuff like this are very vocal about it's truth trying to get others to join them, I think it is a safety in numbers phenom. Personally I stick with what the experts provide, good ole pump gas
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

My dad sent me this response from BP's fuels expert:
                              You bet. You know how powerful the ketones are for softening and
                              dissolving elastomers and fuel hoses. This is (bad) urban myth!
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X