Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Suckage

:poop: My computer kept showing an 'imminent failure' message on startup, but everything was working fine. I decided to begin to back everything up this past weekend, and got everything but my address book in outlook and all my picture files off. Well, dummy me ran a scan disk before I got those backed up, and now I the computer won't even start up. :angry: So, a friendly reminder to get things saved to hard copy before a hard drive dies with no warning. I could maybe get lucky if I set the bad hard drive up as a slave and see if I can get some files off of it, but I have pretty much accepted that the files are lost forever. Now I have to get a new computer (I could replace the hard drive and call it fixed, but an upgrade has been needed for a while). I'm liking the new Pentium D's. :thumbs_up

Anyways, if it seems I've been hiding, besides being extremely busy, going on a cruise next week , I now don't have easy access to a computer. So... looking forward to getting through the holidays and having some fun in the new year.

Michael
    1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    3" Rough Country Lift

Umm.. if you're using Windows, I would just reinstall it. You can do that without wiping wverything. It will basically copy back over the Windows files and make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. This is NOT the same procedure as using a recovery disk. If your system came with a recovery disk, it will wipe out everything.
    Erik

I fix things.

Comment

well, at least you'll have fun on your cruise
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Erik, I tried that and its a no go... the HD is actually bad, not the software. I tried both the recovery disk I got with the computer, and a stand alone version of Windows XP that I bought for my older computer that I upgraded from 98 to XP, and it wouldn't install windows because it couldn't install files. I have hope that if I hook up the HD as a slave to another, I can salvage alot, unless windows has decided to corrupt everything that was still good.

Sarah, I plan on having lots of fun... it'll be a nice 9 days away from work!

Michael
        1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
        3" Rough Country Lift

Comment

Working...
        X