Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Sport Bikes

I have been thinking of picking up a street legal Dual Sport Bike mainly to get to work and back and probably for some minimal trail riding. I am in the very early stages of research. Does any one ride any of these. Any comments/ suggestions?

I went to a bike store and they leaned me into the DR400-S. (Suzuki) I have ridden much before and will probably take whatever bike I end up buying to Wildomar to get some practice in.

I figure if I buy a beater that I can fix up a bit, I can save a ton of $$ on gas considering I could get up to 50 mpg on a bike. I would also have a secondary vehicle so I can leave the jeep in pieces in the garage during a mod build-up.

I have always heard that Hondas are great bikes. I read that KTM's are nice, but expensive to maintain due to the availability of parts.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

I ride a 04 DR 400 S , it is a great bike for the price. I have had a KTM 620 and a ATK 605 they were both better and faster. But you will not beat the DR for $$ and dependablity. The Honda is a good bike but feels real heavy off road. It may be a little better on the freeway though.
    I would recomend the DR.
    T
    456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

I got to ride my brothers XR650L (I think thats what it was) last night. Man it was fun. I just rode around in the parking lot and practiced U-turns and riding around slowly while controlling the bike. Got the hang of it pretty good. Next lesson will be on the road learning lane placement, etc.
      Supe
      97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

If you're going to get a 650 and you have any intention of using the dirt half of the dual sport much, don't waste your time with the L... Go straight to an XR650R and get the street legal conversion kit for it. The R handles better, has more power (10:1 vs 8.5:1 compression), weighs 50 lbs less (yes, 50 lbs!), and will not be much different on the street. The conversion kit is a bit of $, but if you are shopping used anyway, you might find one that already has it. If you can afford it, stick with 2001 (I think) and newer because they redesigned the R in that year. I've actually been contemplating getting one myself since the CR500 just sits in the garage until sand dunes season...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Yep. The XR650L is a pig - I had one for years and just sold it.

Nice trail bike but that is about it. Very heavy and too tall - I'm 6 ft and couldn't stand flat footed when sitting on the seat.
          Kirk
          1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Maybe I should go test drive one of these DR400's. I will use it 99% on the road. The XR was a little tall, but I felt pretty comfy on it. ONce I get more comfy on a bike, I will go test drive some of the other models.
            Supe

Comment

Uh, you can't do that anymore...

Originally posted by rick
              If you're going to get a 650 and you have any intention of using the dirt half of the dual sport much, don't waste your time with the L... Go straight to an XR650R and get the street legal conversion kit for it. The R handles better, has more power (10:1 vs 8.5:1 compression), weighs 50 lbs less (yes, 50 lbs!), and will not be much different on the street. The conversion kit is a bit of $, but if you are shopping used anyway, you might find one that already has it. If you can afford it, stick with 2001 (I think) and newer because they redesigned the R in that year. I've actually been contemplating getting one myself since the CR500 just sits in the garage until sand dunes season...
              At least not in CA. Converting greensticker bikes was disallowed in January this year. Yep, it's a drag.

Go with the DRZ, they're great bikes. If you need more umph, look at the Husky 610. The Honda is a pig.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                Maybe I should go test drive one of these DR400's. I will use it 99% on the road. The XR was a little tall, but I felt pretty comfy on it. ONce I get more comfy on a bike, I will go test drive some of the other models.
                From your post is sounds like you're completely green. If so, I would caution you greatly on riding on the road for safety reasons. I just sold all of my bikes because of the inherint danger to life and limb. The DL1000 (Suzuki V-Strom) went last November, the GasGas EC250 Enduro went a couple of months ago. Both were extremely high performance motorcycles. Left is an older observed trials bike, and a vintage KTM 400 MX'r I won't ride anymore.

A crash in the dirt can (will) bust you up. A crash on the road can kill you.

BTW, the dual sport bikes make terrible street bikes.

JMHO, as a motorcycle veteran with 25 years of experience. Don't mean to piss in your cereal, but I can't keep from commenting after reading thru the thread.

I wish you good fortune in whatever you choose!

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                  From your post is sounds like you're completely green. If so, I would caution you greatly on riding on the road for safety reasons. I just sold all of my bikes because of the inherint danger to life and limb. The DL1000 (Suzuki V-Strom) went last November, the GasGas EC250 Enduro went a couple of months ago. Both were extremely high performance motorcycles. Left is an older observed trials bike, and a vintage KTM 400 MX'r I won't ride anymore.

A crash in the dirt can (will) bust you up. A crash on the road can kill you.

BTW, the dual sport bikes make terrible street bikes.

JMHO, as a motorcycle veteran with 25 years of experience. Don't mean to piss in your cereal, but I can't keep from commenting after reading thru the thread.

I wish you good fortune in whatever you choose!
                  Thanks for your concens, I really do appreciate them. Yes, I am pretty green at riding. I have riden a bit in the past on dirt. I am definatly not one to just jump on a bike and start riding street. My Brother has riden bikes, both dirt and street, for quite a while as well and is teaching me quite well.

I like the idea of a dual sport becuase I can take it to the dirt and get more practice rather than doing all my riding on the road with other vehicles.

Fortunatly I work about 7 miles from my apartment and that will for the most part be all the riding I do. For now atleast.

I really do appreciate your concerns and comments, Thanks!
                  Supe

Comment

Supe,

I'm PM'ing you the contact info on one of my buddies who's heaavily into DS. Works with me at LAX, also one of my OHV cronies.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                    X