Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my mind!

This post isn't about anything really, just needed to sound off about how the CJ's previous owner is driving me crazy! First, as you may know, the CJ was/is in pretty rough shape when I bought her. The previous owner certainly had stock in whomever made his favorite welding rods.

Anyway, I put on the new suspension... and of course its a huge domino effect, and I know/expected that. So then the shocks problem was solved (sorta, I'll get into that in a moment). And I'm working on the brakes issues (lines too short before, and now I'm just moving things around.)

So the new shocks are here, but I cannot mount them correctly because (big surprise) the last owner cut and re-welded the upper shock mounts about 2 inches too far to the front of the vehicle. I can only assume he did this so that he could put less expensive shocks on the Jeep. If I mount the new shocks, they have to get a dent put in them to go around the axle. Moron.

On the up side, I've learned a lot about brakes and issues with brakes. First thing was that my brake wheel cylinders on the front (haven't started the back yet) were only working on one piston. Reason unknown. So I honed them down and hopefully will be able to determine if I've fixed it soon. I've replaced the brake lines to the front axle and will be finishing up the lines coming off the master cylinder on Wednesday. I received much more education than I needed about "proportioning valves". I can never get a simple answer at the shop, everyone has to show how much they know and give a 30 minute dissertation about whatever I simply need a "yes or no" to.

Then I was told by one guy that it's okay to mount the new shocks upside down for clearance issues... which really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up... so I asked a different guy (who runs a 4x4 himself) and he told me the other guy was nuts. Both of these guys are supposed to be certified mechanics.

So now on Wednesday, I have yet to weld the new brake line tabs in place; cut, fab, and weld new shock mounts on the front... and maybe, just MAYBE I can get the ole girl out of the shop and actually DRIVE the damn thing.

Ranting has ended... thanks for listening.

~nick
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

I feel your pain. It never seems anything goes as easy as it should. If it makes you feel better you can buy me a beer on Wednesday
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

J.E.E.P.!!
      Sucks don't it. Oh well, it'll be worth it, hang in there

P.S. I want a beer too
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
        P.S. I want a beer too
        Wed night 7pm at the 7-11 In 29 Palms on Adobe Rd, Nick is buying
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
          Wed night 7pm at the 7-11 In 29 Palms on Adobe Rd, Nick is buying
          Uh we're all gonna get busted as they sell donuts there too, and the cops LOVE the joint! Michael did you get the pictures I sent ya?
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X