Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run the nikon D70 which also takes pictures in raw
    it is an awesome format, although I was aware it took 5 megs to record a raw image, if I was to record 6.3 it would only take 2. the benefits of using raw are the editing of the file.
    those are some nice pics by the way
    nicest thing about the nikon is that it has a 2 gig mini drive to record on, you can afford to shoot away with that kinda storage
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Neat pics, Erik.
      In my younger years I spent a lot of time with an SLR, but nothing in recent years with the advent of digital.
      Night shots are a 'feel' as you have found because of the long exposure times. But with some experience you'll be amazed at what you can capture.
      Seems to me these new cameras can set the din or film speed so you can actually catch some low-light action.
      I don't really have the patience anymore but I sure like to see good shots. Keep at it!
      I'm nominating you to as the "Official MJR Photographer" :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
        I run the nikon D70 which also takes pictures in raw
        it is an awesome format, although I was aware it took 5 megs to record a raw image, if I was to record 6.3 it would only take 2. the benefits of using raw are the editing of the file.
        those are some nice pics by the way
        nicest thing about the nikon is that it has a 2 gig mini drive to record on, you can afford to shoot away with that kinda storage
        raw is an interesting format.
        i converted them to the 16 bit tiff, and they get BIG. one is 32 megs. lol
        it is all in fun. it relaxes me.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

those are some pretty cool pictures!
          i've got a night mode on my camera, but i don't have a steady enough hand (no tripod), so all my night pictures turn out like streaks of light. it's cool to see what night time pictures are supposed to look like !

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            raw is an interesting format.
            i converted them to the 16 bit tiff, and they get BIG. one is 32 megs. lol
            it is all in fun. it relaxes me.
            I've never played with raw (despite having the capability). Some day I would like to learn how to use the camara I have to it's fullest potential, but I just don't have the time to play right now......too many other things I am trying to learn.......photography/image editing is low on the list.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

erik i like those pics i think i might even try to print them out i have been looking for some good pics of water and boats it some thing new i want to try for around the house , really biatching colors from the light ,nice job
              A clean jeep is the sign of a sick mind

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye
                erik i like those pics i think i might even try to print them out i have been looking for some good pics of water and boats it some thing new i want to try for around the house , really biatching colors from the light ,nice job
                pm me your email address, and i can send you the full size pictures.
                the ones you are seeing are shrunk waaaay down in size.
                ERIK

Comment

Pleasantly Shocked!

Well, Erik, you've convinced me to try out RAW. After a half hour on the phone with Canon support (dang Mac OS9-10 incompatibility issues with the software) I was able to get it to work.

I took this pic out of the kitchen window and the nicer one is raw. I'm shocked at how big of a difference it makes. I will have to test it out some more. This at least breathes life into a camera I thought I knew everything about! (Hey, doesn't Rick's shed look nice!?)

The Canon Powershot S45 is a 4MP camera. The RAW file here was 4.7MB. Looks like I'll need an iPod to transfer these huge photos around on the trail, hehe.

:gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

so sarah, you took the pic in raw, then saved it as a jpeg?
                    did you do anything to it in photoshop?
                    editing the pic in raw in photoshop is where the real payoff is. then save it as tiff [huge, but 16 bit] or jpeg [8 bit].
                    ERIK

Comment

yes indeed. i did nothing in photoshop. did you get photoshop to open the RAW photo?
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

yes.. it opens them.
                        i have photoshop CS. dont know if that makes a difference.
                        give me a call on my cel. i'd call you, but am over on minutes.
                        ERIK

Comment

I drop into raw for pics I will want to edit
                          other wise I shoot in different modes
                          If I am going to do for email I shoot vga, if I want the pic for a internet site it will be shot around 3.3 megapixel. if it is for me around 8 megapixel
                          if I want to have fun, or just am plain experimenting it goes raw.
                          One of the coolest thing about the nikon D70 is that you can run all the controls just like it is a film camera, all settings that you use for film can be emulated digitally, infact you set them all using film terms, ISO, F stop, shutter speed, and it has film priority settings, in the program modes.
                          I was always a huge film buff, I have a FG, FA. 2002, and love to mess with film, plus I still believe that film delivers what digital cannot.
                          But we are getting close now. with the current generation of Nikon cpu lenses it just keeps getting better.
                          My wife probly wishes I would sell all the old film equipt since I found the D70 and save some space around here but I kinda do not want to yet. But when I do it will look like a Nikon, Nikor garage sale around here. plus all the cheaper brand lenses I bring out on the trails not to beat my good stuff up.
                          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Great pics Erik!!!! Tom, of course, recognized all the pics since he used to live there before we meet.
                            1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                            Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Working...
                            X