Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techie Trail Run Idea

I figured move this idea to a new thread.

How about we setup a wireless network with a Quake\Doom\UT\Counter Strike server and we can throw our own wireless lan party out on the trail.

Only thing we would need is a power inverter to run the server (or small portable generator), wireless router (unless I can figure out how to get FreeBSD to act as a WAP) and laptops for everyone that wants to play.

I have an old PII and mother board that would be perfect to slap together to run FreeBSD and the Quake\Doom\UT server side stuff. I would just need sometime to eBay together the rest of the parts for it.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

We'll play! Rick has a laptop that I can put up for the cause. *sshhhh* hehe. Got a B router too. And might be able to get a hold of a generator. Other than that, I haven't played PC (or any non PS2) games much, so prepare to give me the booby prize.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Cool, I will talk my wife out of her laptop and start to get together what is needed for the server. Probably take me 3-4 weeks to get everything together tested and working.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

hopefully the rainy season will be over by then.

Comment

Yes we will have to wait for the rain to pass. Electronics and water do not mix too well
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
            Yes we will have to wait for the rain to pass. Electronics and water do not mix too well
            Wet weather is fine, but of course, I have a Toughbook CFM-34

I'd really be interested in using the Garmin Rino radios and GPS mapping software to record in real-time the locations of all members on the trail. Probably could do this with Amateur Service and APRS. Limited to licensees only though.

Also, interested in remote camera displays to spot the undercarriage and tires and also for backing to a trailer.

Server: use a Pentium I (should run OK without a CPU fan), dip mobo in epoxy to weatherproof or stick in a Pelican case or ammo can. PS is a bit more of a problem due to the cooling fan. Prob just easier to get a cheap laptop, remove display, and stick it in an ammo can and call it "ruggedized". Another option is a DC-DC power supply to run off of the Optimas, instead of DC-AC-DC.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

It would be nice if I got a 2m in my rig then hooked it up to my gps but I don't see that kind of money coming in time for this. Would be very cool to do another time!

For the server I am not worried about it getting wet it would be my wife's Dell XPS Laptop. If I broke that she would probably take my Jeep away.

I like the idea of buying a cheap laptop to use as the game server. I might look into that instead of building up a server. Just have to make sure it has an ethernet card or wireless card for it. Plus as a laptop I can use it for other things in the Jeep also.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

WTF? :confused:
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

electronics is no fun unless you let the smoke out of things once in a while

i've got a wireless laptop, 2 power inverters and am a closet geek... count me in
                  Last edited by cbremer; 02-15-05, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                    out with you... geeks only

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
                      out with you... geeks only
                      i was impressed this weekend, actually, chris was complaining about our slow "B" network.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                        i was impressed this weekend, actually, chris was complaining about our slow "B" network.
                        SHHHHH!
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                          Chris,

dont worry about the tech stuff. you would just have to bring along a laptop that has a wireless card in it.

Looks like there is some intrest in this. Should we move this to trail runs or wait til we can get a date set?
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Looks like I am going to have to put this idea on hold for awhile. My hi-steer project is taking up a lot more funds than I had planned for, so I do not have anything atm to put into a "server". I think I can dig up a case/ps for free but I will still be lacking memory.
                            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Count me out ... I specifically go wheeling to get away from these damn screens! Although I do still carry a laptop or a tabletPC with me ... but only for GPS maps and storing/viewing pictures and videos from the trip.

You probably don't even need a server with the right game ... I'm not sure if these newer games support it (haven't played much in years!) but I do remember with the old Doom II or Command and Conquer Red Alert, we could just fire up a LAN game in ad hoc mode.
                              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X