Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Complaint (of Techie Nature)

To anyone that has used Register.com as their registrar, or is thinking of using them with your new website, DON'T!! For an obscene about of money each year, they will point your website.com to your hosting server. The funny thing is that it's practically impossible to get a hold of them! I emailed in my question about 22 hours ago and have had no response ... and I have been on the phone for 15 minutes trying to yell at them, ugh!

For a much better and cheaper and reliable registrar, go to GoDaddy.com. I've switched all of my domains over. They even answer the phone!!

:gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

I have been using GoDaddy for years. Great prices and never a problem

Sorry Register.com is giving you so many problems, sarah.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Hey nagal, know anything about SOA? or SOA and Plesk?

Comment

SOA as in Start Of Authority? Not the best way to describe it but its like a serial number assigned to a dns record. The higher the number, the more recent the dns record. I always use YYYYMMDDXX as my SOAs. XX is that days increment of the DNS record.

The way it works, is when a dns server call for a dns entry it always gets the SOA. If the server has a cached entry and the cached entry's refresh (I think could be retry) time has expired it compares the cached SOA to the one return for the new call. Which ever has the highest SOA is the record that gets returned.

So if you screw up your SOA and make it "older" than previous versions, DNS servers with cached records will not see your changes until (I think) the record has expired which a lot of people set for 6 or 7 days.

Plesk does not ring any bells.
        Last edited by nagal; 01-28-05, 11:13 AM. Reason: bad spelling, real bad
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Yes, the refresh thing! You stated it well. We're running a VPS here and I'd like to change my SOA thing to propagate one of my sites faster. It seems that there is not an option in the CP, and I don't think I am techie enough to go screw around with non-CP settings! LOL MJR would probably be down in 10 min hahah We're also on unix.

Comment

Gosh, when I finally got thru to register. com the silly jerk barely knew what she was talking about. You know how they don't really answer your questions directly? And you get the feeling they are just winging it? Ugh. Hope all goes well.

Comment

I have always used BIND as my dns server, even on my Windows2k server at home I have it running BIND over Microsoft DNS. Control Panel's are for losers, command line all the way!

Not sure what VPS stands for, I assume Virtual Private Server.

Yeah, I once had a tech person tell me you could not telnet via port 25 into an smtp server to test if it was working.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Yeah, we are running BIND. Yup, virtual private - only WE can crash the site! Command lines, eh, hmm, they are *skeery* ... Rick likes 'em, but I'm more of the artsy-fartsy type who enjoys the little clickable graphics, hehe.

There are some Start of Authority timeout/refresh/retry settings in the account at Register.com ... would they help at all? It seems to me like the DNS server is the one that needs to be changed if any.

Comment

I am not sure what the problem is. I kind of figured out i has to do with dns

The only settings on Register.com that should affect anything is the NS servers. If they are correctly pointing towards your server then it is on your end.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

My bad, there is no problem, I have just heard that if you can change the timing on the thing that refreshes every day or so, your domain changes (when coming from another server) will happen faster.

Comment

GoDaddy is much better now that they have user-changeable DNS control. YAY!
                      Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by TrAvELAr
                        GoDaddy is much better now that they have user-changeable DNS control. YAY!
                        I have been wondering where you were this morning, what by fart does that mean LOL

Comment

glad the problem is fixed/clarified
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

thanks for your input nagal.

Comment

:confused:
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE