Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Huricane Concept

I'm sure some of you have already seen this ... but I LIKE it and can't stop looking at it!!!! I'd even take one with just ONE Hemi I also like the term "split solid axle" as opposed to "independent suspension" ... it just sounds better.

DETROIT - The Chrysler Group today took the automotive press by storm with the introduction of a new and unexpected concept vehicle, the Jeep Hurricane.

With two 5.7-liter 335-HP V-8 engines - HEMI squared - the Hurricane travels from a stand-still zero MPH to 60 MPH in less than five seconds, said Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche.

The concept, which bows here at the North American International Auto Show, features split solid axles, with a V-8 at each end of the truck. It has a mechanically controlled four-wheel torque distribution system.

Chrysler said the split solid axle design affects the rotation direction of each propshaft, applying a downward force to each wheel.

Hurricane has the unusual ability to spin on its axis -- Chrysler calls it a "turntable feature." It also has four-wheel steering to help out if it gets "between a rock and a hard place," Zetsche said.

With 370 lb.-ft. of torque per engine, the Hurricane can run in four-, eight- or 16-cylinder mode.

It has a carbon fiber chassis and body and a 14.6-inch ground clearance for extreme offroad activities. Its 20-inch wheels have, with tires, a 37-inch diameter ...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoshow/0501/10/-54845.htm

Video of it in action (click)
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

It seems cool, but looks like there is alot of lost ground clearance.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

A little scary since it is a Wrangler-esque vehicle with IFS.

However i don't see them going to production with it, some of the ideas may move forward, but since all vehicles will have to have the mandatory head curtain airbags in the near future, this would at least need a redesign.

It is fun to see what the Jeep engineers are up to though

Comment

Originally posted by mparker
        However i don't see them going to production with it, some of the ideas may move forward, but since all vehicles will have to have the mandatory head curtain airbags in the near future, this would at least need a redesign.
        Hmmmm ... does that mean we are about to see the end of the Wrangler with the removable hard top and the basic soft top? That would really suck.

... unless they figure out a way to put the airbag in the roll bar somehow?
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
          Hmmmm ... does that mean we are about to see the end of the Wrangler with the removable hard top and the basic soft top? That would really suck.

that means that the values of our jeeps just skyrocketed
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Hmmmm ... maybe now it'll be worth half as much money as I've put into it!

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn

I don't have any inside info on Jeep/DCs future plans so this is strictly conjecture and here-say from some idiot on the web.... me... so take it for what it is worth... these are merely my opinions based on the things I have seen.

Jeep knows that the Wrangler/CJ body style is a winner. That is why it hasn't changed all that much since the 40s. The body style still sells with a little minor updating after over 60 years... that ain't half-bad. Infact it is a marketers dream.

Since the US Govt. feels the need to be our parents and protect us... there are the saftey regulations put out... and one of thos regulations is this side curtain air-bag thing. I don't know the exact date, and as with all of these govmt things, it is subject to change based on the lobbiest's with the largest pocketbook.

However, if you look at the design of a few vehicles with the side curtain airbag, they are actually mounted in the seat rather that over the side window, so Jeep could definately go that way.

I have also noticed that among the pics floating around of Jeep concept vehicles, that the Compass, Gladiator, Willys2 concepts did not have the typical roll-bar setup. This could lead to something, from the designers eyes, but i am only guessing.

In my personal opinion i don't think their marketing department is dumb enough to do a drastic redesign, i think we will see something along the lines of an updated grill (similiar to the grill here or the grill on the Rescue concept) and a little bit more rounding on the lines (which all of the concepts have), but the core will remain the same general look.

Or then i may be completely wrong and it will end up looking like the Treo concept.... (God forbid)

I am, however, pretty certain that the next Jeep will not have Danas in it.... SACRILIGE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                that means that the values of our jeeps just skyrocketed
                As if we could ever get you to part with it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X