Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
    For those of you in high school listen to your parents. Go to college after High school, Not 20 years later. Too many brain cells fried.
    I agree to that statement! I went to college 8 years after High School and it was still tough. I managed though and in 2000 got my Associates Degree in Business Management from Victor Valley College.
    1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
    Glad to be back in California!

Comment

http://stumbler.net

download it
      test it
      drive it
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
        that is wicked, let's stay there this year! how did he let you on? was it $40 to just get online or for the whole stay?

anyway, i don't think that's what d4x4 meant. more of a roaming, go-anywhere service.
        I looked it up and it was the SILVER SAGE INN. The guy in the office just had a wireless router with open access and he said it's ok to use it It was $42 a night to stay there. It's very close to the Moab Brewery.

About internet access, I got the cable that connects my cel phone to my laptop. I can dial out through it like a regular modem and get 14Kbps pretty much anywhere. It's good enough to check emails and do light surfing but too slow for anything else. Also, forget about it if you get HUGE emails! But checking yahoo mail with it is pretty good. But as far as cost, that's only using regular talk time minutes from your cel phone plan.

I use my BigZoo calling card which lets me call anywhere in the US for 3.9 cents a minute using their 800 number. That way, from anywhere in the US I can dial into my ISP's dialup service and access the web ... that 3.9 cents a minute adds up to much less than what other wireless internet services would cost me.

And as stated above, many hotels and places now provide internet access to their customers for either free or a small fee. When I drove out from LA to Madison, many places I stopped I could get some sort of wireless internet. There is this one network for truckers that charges money but I didn't have to pay since there were other open networks usually to be used
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

seapahn, would you stay there again??
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Wireless internet has not taken off yet.
            I have heard some rumors of wireless internet getting more use and publicity this summer.
            The cost is supposed to be around $60.00 to $80.00 a month.
            More then I am willing to pay though.
            Not sure of the coverage though.

Starbucks does offer a wireless hotspots, that you can use if you pay them to use it. Not sure of the cost there, because I have not looked at it.

Wardriving is the art of driving around looking for unsecured wireless networks. Some people will use this for their own gain. Others do it to see how many they can find. The good ones will then let the respective owners of that unsecured network know they giving access to anyone and everyone to their network.

Navy-Jeepster
            Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
            Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

seapahn, would you stay there again??
              Sure. The only problem was that everyone else was north of town at camp ground and this is basically south of everything ... but Moab is so small it doesn't make much difference. Of course a lot could change in a year.

About the internet, I wasn't getting much signal in the room by the way. Seemed like a lot of places had or were starting to have wireless in Moab last year.
              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Wardriving (verb)
                The act of driving around in a vehicle with a laptop computer, an antenna, and an 802.11 wireless LAN adapter to exploit existing wireless networks. Set on promiscuous mode, the wireless adapter, typically a NIC, will receive packets within its range. Wardriving exploits wireless networks that have ranges that extend outside the perimeter of buildings in order to gain free internet access or illegal access to an organization’s data. One safeguard against wardriving is using the WEP encryption standard.
                I tried this when I was in hawaii for a couple of weeks. Didn't work. Everyone and thier mom had thier networks secured. What's up with that? I share my wireless network with my neighbors. I did get on the net in a comp usa and put all thier hompages to mjr but that was the extent of my i-net there.
                [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

this one is for you, chuck! ha!
                  w00+

:hat:

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
                    I did get on the net in a comp usa and put all thier hompages to mjr but that was the extent of my i-net there.
                    woot!

actually though, it's so simple to keep people off your network maybe more people are figuring that out.

p.s. if you haven't figured that out yet you can hire me!
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                    X