Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOPO Software

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista. What good Topo software should I get for it? I know that they have their "Mapsource" brand, but I was wondering what else was there.

Compatibility would be key.

Thanks in advance,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

I have Mapsource. Works pretty good. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I run Mapsource as well (on my Vista.....when it is working). The program isn't too bad, really. Not as bad as many claim anyway. But I have problems with my Vista (too small of a screen, track log problems, compass heading problems, software crashes, etc, so.........

If things work out right, I will be upgrading the GPS very soon.....with much better software as well. I'll provide details once the deal is done, and I have a chance to test the equipment.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it.

Mapsource are maps that actually load INTO the Vista so that you can see the map on that tiny little screen. This is very handy for Points of Interest information that you can use while tooling around on foot. I find that the screen itself is too small for useful navigation in a car.

TOPO and Delorme both make mapping software that lets you load the map onto your computer (I use a laptop with TOPO). On the laptop, you can create a route and upload it to your unit so that you can follow the waypoints to get your destination. Alternatively, you can download tracks and waypoints from your GPS receiver and display/edit them on the computer. These software apps run about $100 a state.

I use the laptop in real-time while navigating so I actually have ditched my handheld GPS receiver in favor of a dedicated sensor that will be permanently mounted on the Jeep. This allows me to actually see where I am on the TOPO software while also recording my trip at the same time. It's a bit bulkier than using a handheld, but I can annotate with a full-keyboard instead of using that little Vista joystick.

Stu Olsen uses a shareware program called OziExplorer that lets you use free downloadable GeoTiff maps. I managed to download all of CA, UT, and AZ over the course of several weeks. OziExplorer also lets you use aerial photos or any other source for the map.

It should be noted that TOPO, Delorme, and OziExplorer will let you download and upload tracks and waypoint data to any GPS receiver that uses NMEA sentences (nearly all of them), but you will not be able actually load BASEMAPS into the receiver. There is an opensource software project that lets you create your own BASEMAPS to load into your Garmin GPS. I think it is written in Poland as there aren't any official MapSource basemaps of Eastern Europe. I suppose you could also use this software to create your own basemaps of your favorite golf courses or whatever.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Ozi is a awesome program. I believe the base program is free, but you have to register it to be able to use the 3-D options, and a few others. Some of the guys I have been on trips with like to take our track, geo-reference it onto a 3-D satalite image, and store the tracks that way....you can do the same with 3-D Topo's. It is also very handy for planning trips (hiking, backpacking) because you can rotate the maps, and look at them from different "elevations", to get a good idea about what kind of grade you will have to climb. I downloaded it once, but never had the time to learn how to use the program.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks for the great info you guys!

Best,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Working...
            X