Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Running GPS and Laptop in Jeep

I am thinking about using my old laptop as a Jeep unit and just keep mapping software on it and using it in tandum with a GPS device. So far I think that a Garmin 12XL or some comparable device and use on the laptop Delorme Street Atlas USA and Topo USA. So the Garmin hooked up to the laptop and run the mapping software for better idea where I am. Here is my question. Do you think those are the best for what I want to do. Here is what I want to be able to do. Use it on Road trips to trails and then I would like a software (Topo) that will have forest roads service roads and public acess roads on it so that I can use that software offroad. Now I ask again do yall think that the Garmin 12XL and Strett and Atlas and Topo USA is the best combo. This is my first experience with GPS and mapping software so go easy on me. Oh and if someone else runs a laptop, what mounting system did you go with?
    Just your avearge Grand Cherokee.....right?
    "looks over function....yeah, right"

With most GPS units you can download track, waypoint, elevation, and fire road information for the specific area you'll be exploring. Other than a bigger screen, (and alot of space being taken up in the Jeep) what advantages do you think this might have? Nailer & igofshn have the Garmin V's I believe, and it seems to be a nice combination of portability and screen size.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

You can run alot more maps and more specific maps of the area when you run it in combo with a laptop. I know a lot of GC guys that do it, everybody is out of town, I am trying to ask them what they run. I thought I would ask here and see if anyone would know.
      Just your avearge Grand Cherokee.....right?
      "looks over function....yeah, right"

Comment

Working...
      X