Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's X-43A Scramjet Breaks Speed Record

While I wasn't a part of this historic endeavor, it's pretty big news around campus here at Goddard Space Flight Center.

NASA's X-43A Scramjet Breaks Speed Record
    NASA's X-43A research vehicle screamed into the record books again Tuesday, demonstrating an air-breathing engine can fly at nearly 10 times the speed of sound. Preliminary data from the scramjet-powered research vehicle show its revolutionary engine worked successfully at nearly Mach 9.8, or 7,000 mph, as it flew at about 110,000 feet.

The high-risk, high-payoff flight, originally scheduled for Nov. 15, took place in restricted airspace over the Pacific Ocean northwest of Los Angeles. The flight was the last and fastest of three unpiloted flight tests in NASA's Hyper-X Program. The program's purpose is to explore an alternative to rocket power for space access vehicles.

"This flight is a key milestone and a major step toward the future possibilities for producing boosters for sending large and critical payloads into space in a reliable, safe, inexpensive manner," said NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe. "These developments will also help us advance the Vision for Space Exploration, while helping to advance commercial aviation technology," Administrator O'Keefe said.

You can see NASA's official X43-A site here.
    Erik

I fix things.

Wow. That's fast.
    I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
    1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

did you get to touch it?
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
        did you get to touch it?
        No.. it's at JPL in CA.
        Erik

I fix things.

Comment

I can proudly say my daughter helped on that, Didnt do much but enough i can brag, She worked on part of a electornic box they did a dryden research center at Edwards AFB, She was upset she didnt get to see it fly...
          04TJ, 4.0 5spd
          4" rough country springs
          Nth degree arms upper and lower
          1" Currie MML/BL
          Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
          33"BFG MT's
          Lock-rite in the front

Comment

yeah 7000 MPH is pretty quick! But in the air is easy! Stick some wheels on it and do it on land!!! YEAH!!!!
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by TrAvELAr
              No.. it's at JPL in CA.
              JPL can be a fun little place!

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Working...