Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tow rig/daily driver

It's that time where I need to start trailering the jeep instead of always driving in/out. Looking at stepping up to a truck and trading in the compact car. It's gonna be hard because I'm spoiled at 30mpg and no car payment. Looking for a new truck in the 17'ish mpg range.

What are your opinions on these 3 trucks? All are 2015

1.) Ford F150

2.) GMC Sierra 1500

3.) Chevy Silverado

I'm leaning towards the Sierra.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

For towing a 3/4 ton pickup is a better choice. Mine is a 1/2 ton Sierra, changed the gearing to 4.56, added a 40.000 lbs GVWR rated trans cooler and it will tow without issue, it still likes to run away from mountains though. For towing to fun places you cannot beat power, on the other hand My truck is a nice daily driver and it does drag my trailer slowly up a ton of hills without trans or cooling system overheating issues.
    It all depends what you use more the truck for towing or daily driving at a fair distance

Comment

If your just gonna be towing your Jeep on a trailer, a 1/2 ton truck is fine. If you plan on getting an overhead camper in the future, I would look into a 3/4 ton.

Don't rule out the Toyota, and Nissan full sizes. They are true 1/2 tons, like the big 3. I have an 05' Titan. Came with the tow package. When I am only towing my rock buggy on the car trailer, I hardly know it's there. When I had my TJ, on the trailer, the same thing. It's rated for 9300lbs. I even tow my 28' toy hauler with my buggy in it, and the Titan does it. Great trans. As long as I manage speed and rpm The trans stays cool, even 1000lbs over weight.

Just a suggestion, If you haven't purchased a trailer yet. Get a trailer wide enough to handle full with axles. That way you have room to grow, if you decide to move to a buggy with tons, or use it for quads and bikes, you'll have the room.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I have been happy with my 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine (they are 365 hp). Pulls all my stuff nicely, up to my Box trailer. With a rig inside I am sure it is in the 8000 pound range. Gets pretty bad gas mileage with that tho. Maybe 8-10 out to the Hammers. I get around 16 pulling my boat (round trip to Powell). I have the 4x4 with 3.73 gears. I have my wife drive when we take the motorhome to Powell and get 21-23 at 60 mph following me. Gets 14-16 around town. The new ones are 700 lbs lighter due to the amount of aluminum used.
        Rich

Comment

Towing too the Hammers or cruising through Colorado is a bit different. But all around for multi use a 1/2ton with a full on tow package would make a good choice

Comment

I haul my jeep on a trailer with a diesel f250 4x4. Plenty of power. Like Art said power, power and power. I say diesel. Also remember braking too. If you get a trailer make sure you get brakes on both axles. Most manufactures only put them on one, you have to request/order them on a second axle. Most diesels today have a exhaust brake to help with down hill grades. If u get a diesel make sure you get one with this type of feature. If you plan on doing bigger upgrades to your jeep where it will increase the weight get a 3/4 ton. I think you will struggle with power with an f150 or similar chassis from another brand.

If I could buy brand new again it would be a dodge diesel 2500 or 3500 non duale

Comment

How often do you realistically plan on towing? If it's only a few times a year I'd look at keeping the car and just renting a truck for the times you want to tow.
              "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Working...
              X