Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with a Weight Distributing Hitch

I just got my 1st Toy Hauler. The seller gave me the WD hitch. Great. There was a warn out sticker on the trailer tongue. It pretty much said, if you are towing with a WD hitch, and you are towing off road, to remove the tension bars, when leaving the pavement.

My question. Has anybody with this setup, had any problems driving from HWY 247, down Boone Rd. to the lake bed, at a slow speed?
    It was like that when I got here.

I never had any problems because I undid mine too. It just puts undo stress on the spring bars. My TT had SOA already. So driving in mild whoop-d-dos was ok.

Steve
    Last edited by alittleoff; 01-04-15, 07:51 PM.
    All slow and no show

Comment

I typically don't detach on dirt roads.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
        I never had any problems because I undid mine too. It just puts undo stress on the spring bars. My TT had SOA already. So driving in mild whoop-d-dos was ok.

Steve
        My hauler has soa from the factory. One of the reasons I got it. Guess I should take a couple of minutes to remove the bars, if I'm gonna venture off the graded road. Thanks for the info.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Leave them on just relax them all to way.

Comment

My neighbor didn't unhook his on a 22' Weekend Warrior going in to Glamis. Twisted the trailer tongue and made it untowable. Had to have it straightened, strenghtened and rewelded. I unhook going over any type of Whoops or twisty areas. Flat gravel/dirt roads are no problem.

Comment

Boone road shouldn't be a problem, just take it easy.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
              X