Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truck as tow rig, what would you get?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and although I'm not quite ready to jump into it just yet, I'd like to start passively looking around to see what's out there. Basically, I miss having a truck. So many times that I find a need for one.

What I would like is a flatbed that is 10 feet long, single cab, turbo diesel with a manual transmission. That would be my ideal truck. 4wd would be nice. Ideally less than $10K

My thought is that with a flatbed, I could use it as a tow-rig for my CJ (just drive it up onto the flatbed, instead of flat towing it, or bringing a flat trailer), and I would also use the truck for just regular stuff, picking up supplies for my furniture projects (as well as delivering finished furniture), and I'd probably end up using the flatbed itself as a large work bench for when I'm actually working on my furniture and other projects.

At any rate, I'm not looking to find one right away, but I'd like to start keeping an eye out. What would yall get? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? Something like an F250? Heck, even one of those small Isuzu flatbed delivery trucks?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

One of the guys in my motorcycle club got like a Freightliner, removed one axle (so he could register as a regular truck), built a flatbed and ramps and hauled his Jeep, motorcycles, trailer and what have you. It was actually pretty neat. He also built a bunch of side boxes for storage. I don't think he paid much; the truck had hundreds of thousands of miles, but ran well. As I remember, it had a short sleeper cab. He moved many years ago, so no pictures.
    Rich

Comment

I don't know if I'd want something quite that big in the city, if I wanted big and cheap, I'd look into an M35 deuce and a half (which I totally want!!)

I'll keep that in mind though, if I get a place outside of the city sometime soon (which hopefully happens in the coming few years)
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

This is what I'm thinking about, looks like someone has done it before. This person has a 10 foot flatbed, and it looks like the willys just barely fits.

A bit of research tells me that most "long bed" pickup trucks are 8 feet long. So I'd need to find one with a flatbed that's been extended to 10+ feet to comfortably fit the willys on the back.

I wonder how the handling will be with the willys on the back of the truck like this? I imagine the rear suspension might have to be beefed up a bit (air bags maybe?) How are the brakes on f250/350 trucks like this?

If I were to build a flatbed (or have one built for me) I think I would build it a little bit lower, and have arches for the rear tires, keep the weight of the willys down lower, just drive the front tires up and over the arches. If it's possible to have the deck height lower, I mean.

Anyway, just thinking outloud

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...Flatbed%20%232

Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-19-14, 08:37 AM.

Comment

At my work we have some F-450's & F-550's in single and dbl. cabs (long wheel base) with 8" flat beds. You really can't get the beds too much lower because of the frame and gas tank height. The leaf packs are very stiff, plus the thick sway bars make it very stable. If you really want to go ugly, look at the class "C" motorhome chassis. Some of those are 30' long. Buy one that is pre-smog and make your own toy box. It might take more than a turbo/Kubota to push it though.

Steve
          All slow and no show

Comment

Look for a cab and chassis duql rear wheel truck, stretch the frame behind the cab, then dovetail right behind th axle. Built your own bed and call it good. Add over drive andyou have an awesome hauler. Get crazy and stick a 6bt Cummins in it.With a truck like that you could haul both your Jeeps

Comment

I doubt that set up would work for you. That's a very short wheel based cj5. You've got more WB than that.. You'd need like a 12 ft'r at least.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

my WB is 80 inches, it's a CJ2a that is mostly stock sized, but with taller springs and tires a few inches taller. Though having a few extra feet on the bed would probably NOT be something I'd regret down the line, haha

Comment

You will need more then a 1ton chassis. The payload is usually about 10% of it towing capacity. That's not enough to handle yr 2a. You'll need something like a box truck. Then remove the box, ect. I've considered buying a used flatbed tow truck. Then you could tow a travel trailer too.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post

Nice set up but not sure I'm liking how the Jeep is strapped. I'm hoping it's not the case but it sure looks like he's strapping to the windshield. The rear strap doesn't look to secure either. I would add some sides to the bed so you can through all your gear under the Jeep.
                    Check out .

Comment

Yea, figuring out a secure way to strap the jeep down would definitely be one of the first things I work on, after getting a truck. The last thing I want is to have the jeep bounce off the truck haha

Thanks for the ideas fellas.

Comment

If I had the money, I'd buy this:
                        http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...red-price.html

Or, build something like Ian is building on Xtreme Offroad for less money.

Sorry no pics. I'm on shitty hotel wifi and can't get them to load.
                        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...red-price.html

I know a little more than you wanted to spend, but what the heck.
                          Rich

Comment

I like that the flat bed is lower than the wheel arches.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                              I like that the flat bed is lower than the wheel arches.
                              When your looking around check the axle ratings on the trucks your looking at. They're usually in the driver side for jam. Older Dodge, Chevy 3500, and F350's had a higher rear axle GVW then they do today. With the older trucks you can find like an 11,500 rear axle rating.

Heres something for you to think about though. If you're going to use this truck for any type of work you will be required to get a CA number through the highway patrol. That means expensive commercial insurance. You can try to run without one but if you get caught they will write you a ticket and make you get it. And with any type of bed other then a stock pickup bed you are suppose to enter the truck scales. The sign at the entrance to all California truck scales clearly states no pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X