Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to winch (I'm the student)

So I recently got my winch, hooked it all up, tested it a few times and everything seems to be working.

Now, I want to learn to use it! I'm sure I can figure out the basics but I like to learn from people that already know what they're doing, I'm at least that smart

I was thinking meet up somewhere local, maybe santiago, that isn't too aggressive, my girlfriend will provide us with lunch and I'll buy some dinner later.

Anybody? (I hope this is the right place to post this...)

The San Bernardino National Forest Adopt-A-Trail Program puts on a winching class a few times a year.

We use winches a lot doing trail maintenance. We will be having a trail maintenance day on September 14, 2013.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

damn, I totally would have gone! I have to be in the bay area for a friends 40th! So many things happening that weekend too!

Comment

Is this the site for the adopt a trail program? http://www.sbnf-adopt-a-trail.com/

Everything is out of date, no events etc.. Is there a better place to look this stuff up?

Where can I find more info on MJR trail maint days? I looked in events and saw nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by socal.dave View Post
          Is this the site for the adopt a trail program? http://www.sbnf-adopt-a-trail.com/
          Yes

Is there a better place to look this stuff up?
          Yes. We use a Yahoo Group. It is a closed group and you have to be invited by Angela Cook. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/S...tions/messages

Where can I find more info on MJR trail maint days? I looked in events and saw nothing...
          You have to be invited by Sarah. Send her a private message here on MJR
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

So, doesn't look like that'll end up with me going to 'winch school' any time soon, original request still requested

Comment

I'm pretty sure that there is a lot of info from the folks on MJR that they are willing to share. Winching is clearly more than academic, but there is a WHOLE bunch of stuff that you can learn before you ever spin that winch spindle.

What style is your new winch? Do you know if it is a worm gear or a planetary gear (there is also a spur gear, but they are old and rare for the most part)?
              Are you using a steel or synthetic cable?

As for use, there are some pretty simple basics that I'm sure the folks on here can expound upon. The Don'ts are probably the most important:

Don't hook your winch hook back around your own winch line. Pressure on this pinch point will lead to a failure sooner or later.
              Don't allow your cable to be abraded over any rough or even slightly rough surface.
              Don't use a steel cable without a weight on the line to make it drop in case of a failure.
              Don't EVER stand where a broken line can snap back at you.

There are many more obvious and subtle things to learn about winching. I'm hoping that others will chime in with their experiences. Some of mine are:
              Make sure that you don't extend your cable beyond 5 rounds left on the spindle.
              Your strongest straight pulls are when the cable is close to fully extended.
              You can double your pull strength with the proper use of a snatch block.
              And last but not least, no matter how weak that anchor point looks, it might get you out of a jam if you use the right approach.

So, tell us more about your new winch....
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

here's a little tip, wire up a switch and/or some buttons so that you can control the winch from inside the jeep, that makes it alot easier to use
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

http://www.4x4training.com/TrainingClinics/Winch.html

http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/...ssRelease.html

winch class and winching bandanna with all the basics you need to winch safely.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post

That bandanna looks familiar....
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that there is a lot of info from the folks on MJR that they are willing to share. Winching is clearly more than academic, but there is a WHOLE bunch of stuff that you can learn before you ever spin that winch spindle.

What style is your new winch? Do you know if it is a worm gear or a planetary gear (there is also a spur gear, but they are old and rare for the most part)?
                      Are you using a steel or synthetic cable?

As for use, there are some pretty simple basics that I'm sure the folks on here can expound upon. The Don'ts are probably the most important:

Don't hook your winch hook back around your own winch line. Pressure on this pinch point will lead to a failure sooner or later.
                      Don't allow your cable to be abraded over any rough or even slightly rough surface.
                      Don't use a steel cable without a weight on the line to make it drop in case of a failure.
                      Don't EVER stand where a broken line can snap back at you.

There are many more obvious and subtle things to learn about winching. I'm hoping that others will chime in with their experiences. Some of mine are:
                      Make sure that you don't extend your cable beyond 5 rounds left on the spindle.
                      Your strongest straight pulls are when the cable is close to fully extended.
                      You can double your pull strength with the proper use of a snatch block.
                      And last but not least, no matter how weak that anchor point looks, it might get you out of a jam if you use the right approach.

So, tell us more about your new winch....
                      I've done quite a bit of reading and self education but I don't like to be 'that guy' I like learn by doing and I like to learn through the community (I also like to teach through the various communities I'm a part of)(Docendo discimus)...

It's an engo 10k, 3 stage planetary, 85 feet of 3/8th synthetic... I'm not new to offroading btw, just new to winching

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post

I've seen, and considered that class though it seems a bit steep price wise.

Comment

If you want to learn how to use a winch, Its a simple process.
                          1. get hooked up with the AAT group here. (we always need people)
                          2. show up on a day when were moving large objects. (almost every run)

You get to hang out with real cool people, learn different types of accessories, different ways to run cable and see what really works. Most people Ive known over the years only use their winch a few time's in their life. These guys use them constantly.

Scott
                          Come to the dark side.....
                          We have Cookies!

Comment

I've (just) messaged sarah about trail maint days. I'm down to help for good causes like this!

Comment

If it's a wire winch line do yourself a favor and buy some thick leather gloves to use when spooling. A single broken wire strand will rip the snot out of your hand.
                              Most everything has been covered in this thread. Be kind and use a tree saver. Use winch points over areas that have only one or two bolts on the other vehicle. Rocks aren't the best winch points. Consider using synthetic cable over steel. And stay the hell away from a tensioned line. Think of it as a bull whip with about 20,000 lbs of potential energy just waiting to take your torso apart. Ive seen one snap and hit the side of a rig. You would of though it hit a street light pole at 20mph. I treat a winch the same way I treat a hi-lift. With fear and respect. I HATE hi lifts.. Dont get me started on those....
                              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X