Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock value in the media/web?

I don't really care for all the "shock value" type crap in advertisements and such (actually I can't stand TV commercials period, which is why I don't have cable TV).

But I found one in a place I wouldn't expect, and it's getting annoying. I'm on the weather channel website (weather.com) looking up the 10 day forecast to see if it's going to rain or not. And off to the side in big bold letters reads "Recommended Videos:" and under it "Raw Video: Tourists die in hot air balloon crash" (or something similar to that) With a photo of the balloon falling out of the sky, and a video of the balloon crashing down and the people's death. (I assume, I didn't click it)

Man, I don't want to see that crap!! That's just gruesome and disturbing, I'm just trying to see if it's going to rain next week, I don't want to be presented with video of someone's death!

I sent the weather channel an email expressing my displeasure. I'm starting to notice this "shock value" type stuff more and more. I don't like it.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

So I take it you don't like these commercials:

To me, I expect it a little more on the web, depending on the source. Weather.com doesn't seem like the place I'd expect to see it though. TV Commercials are getting more into the shock value as seen by my links too. I'm not sure if I just spend too much time online, but things don't seem that bad to me, other than the fact that before I know it, my kids will be on the internet and I don't want them watching hot air balloon crashes and peoples' deaths.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Another kmart word-play shock value commercial:

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
        I don't really care for all the "shock value" type crap in advertisements and such (actually I can't stand TV commercials period, which is why I don't have cable TV).

But I found one in a place I wouldn't expect, and it's getting annoying. I'm on the weather channel website (weather.com) looking up the 10 day forecast to see if it's going to rain or not. And off to the side in big bold letters reads "Recommended Videos:" and under it "Raw Video: Tourists die in hot air balloon crash" (or something similar to that) With a photo of the balloon falling out of the sky, and a video of the balloon crashing down and the people's death. (I assume, I didn't click it)

Man, I don't want to see that crap!! That's just gruesome and disturbing, I'm just trying to see if it's going to rain next week, I don't want to be presented with video of someone's death!

I sent the weather channel an email expressing my displeasure. I'm starting to notice this "shock value" type stuff more and more. I don't like it.
        Yeah that's worse than offensive. If I found out someone was using video of someone I loved dying for profit or entertainment purposes, I would make sure they would never do it again.

I learned to hate television when I was a kid. With the exception of about a year when I had it with cable internet (the ex wanted tv), I haven't had television for most of my adult life.

I hate commercials in general, and most everything that's on television and the radio for that matter. Having to sit through a stupid commercial is one thing. Having to view and/ or listen to it over and over again is an assault on the mind. They're literally brainwashing you with their stupid commercials and asinine jingles. That's how little regard they have for people. That really pisses me off. I don't know, seems a lot of people don't care if their mind is used for a toilet.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

yep, haha! I haven't had TV for about 10 years now. I now actually do have a TV, but I just use it for netflix.

Radio commercials are the same thing. The only radio station I'll listen to is NPR, back when Cartalk was still going.

And now we have flashing billboards that are digital, so not only is it an advertisement, one that changes and distracts your attention from the road when you see it change to the next ad.

Pretty soon it's going to be like Total Recall, haha!
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I own a TV too, but I've only used it to watch DVDs, and it has been mothballed for a few years now. Maybe someday I'll take it apart and make something useful out of the components. I think I watch between 1-3 movies a year on my pc.

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post

Pretty soon it's going to be like Total Recall, haha!
            Yeah, your first post brought Running Man to mind as well.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
            X