Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare axle storage in jeep

does anybody keep their spares under their jeep, mounted in some way that they wont fall off?
    i have been thinking of doing this to keep a nice low center of gravity, and also in the event of a roll over, it is less junk to possibly come un-strapped and knock me in the head.
    of course it is also less space taken up in the jeep with some cumbersome hunk of steel.
    if any one has done this.. post up a pic! if you have concidered it... lets hear about it. if you think it is a stupid idea... lets hear that too
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Fronts or rears? I've got a tool box from Kilby mounted across the back of my Jeep that goes half way to the floor. Since i have to have the back seat in that makes it a great place for larger parts and items since they can't be wandering all over the inside of the Jeep.

I've seen front spare shafts bolted on the rear axle of Jason Bunch's competition rig, thought it was a decent place to put them. I've seen the tube behind the front bumper set up to bolt spare rear shafts in it too, and that was one of the better places for them that I've seen.
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Never thought about it. What about if the mounts to the frame for your rocker gaurds were modified to hold a set both right and left? :confused: need more :cup:
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

http://www.tricountygear.com/specs.htm

You can sorta see Jasons here. It's kind of a small PIC.

I have seen a guy who made a bracket above his front bumper to store his axles. Looked kinda funny, a little to high I would think.

I keep mine behind the front seats strapped to the floor. So far so good.

Comment

That reminds me, thanks Scott.
          Kilby has his rear shafts on a mount that's attached to the top of his roller fairlead. He made it so that it mounts on there always, then you put the shafts in and put the top on and tighten the wing nut to clamp it down.
          I don't have a roller, so always forget that one.

Comment

maybe chris L will post his setup... he puts the shafts into a pice of that rubbery foam pipe insulation, then uses big hose clamps to attach the shafts to the frame rails. i'm sure he has a pic

Comment

I keep my stock tie rod zip-tied to the frame. I have spare front axles. The long side is bungy corded to my high lift jact, and the short side generally is strapped to the rear cage. If I had spare rear axles, I'd probably put them under the rear seat, pointing up along the frame rail.
              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I take the spare front alloy axles and insert them into 2" id plumbing insulation and strap them with large hose clamps {see circles in pic}. On top of the frame between the frame and body lift. One side of the jeep I keep my axles there and the other side has a spare custom drag link which doubles as a spare track bar. They are the exact same length. I keep a warn outer shaft in the tool box. I don't carry rear shafts. I figure I wont be breaking 35 spline dana 60 alloy shafts. HTH
                ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

So where is the spare driveshaft going?

Comment

great ideas guys! thanks for the responces.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                      So where is the spare driveshaft going?
                      John, I still want that shaft.
                      ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                      00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                      97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Chris, I left you a message. Come and pick it up, I'm tired of it being in my way

Comment

Working...
                        X