Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Hauler for Jeep?

I am considering a used toy hauler for my jeep. As anybody who has looked for one,knows that you have to get 30'+ trailer for it to have the weight capacity for a jeep. I don't want that. The shorter the better. I have seen 24ft'ers, that the cargo area will allow a jeep to fit. But the overall weight capacity will not support the added weight of the jeep.

Is the weight limit of a toy hauler, based on the capacity of the axles?, or does the box need to be reinforced as well?
    Could I swap out 5k axles for 7500lbs axles, and be good?
    Has anybody done this?

Thanks for any help
    It was like that when I got here.

The shorter toy haulers are generally of the "lite" category and they are marketed to those folks who refuse to use the proper tow vehicle.
    Generally the frames are not designed to hold the weight of a Jeep so far back on the trailer.

One of the biggest design characteristics of a toyhauler that can safely carry 5000# at the rear is that it also needs to be able to be towed safely without that 5000# at the rear. That is why they are generally longer and heavier from the manufacturer. That is why they are almost exclusively 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers.

You might have to build the trailer yourself or at least have it built to your specs.

You could use a gooseneck trailer and mount an old camper on the front.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

If I had to do it again I'd get a bumper tow enclosed car trailer an convert it to a simple live in trailer. Universal trailer does this if they are still in business.

Comment

Working...
      X