Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody into Muzzle loaders?

I know I'm outdated and I drive a Landcruiser, but is anybody in the high desert, MJR, into black powder? Got a couple of Kentucky long rifles, 45 cal, that can hit a 4 inch plate at 100 yards, and a lot of fun to shoot. Was in a pawn shop yesterday and picked up a Lymann, 54 cal Hawken rifle, looks like it never been used for a ridiculous low price. Wasn't planning on buying anything, but when a deal comes along.

Cool deal Kevin, Does your Hawken have the dual triggers? I had a Senaca Hawken 54 cal years back, and still have a Ruger old Army 44 cal.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Yes got dual triggers, looks like it came just out of box. Went out this weekend with the Kids and surprized them when I brought out the old smoke poles. Most people are surprized at what they can do. They think they are going to knock you on your butt like they see in the movies. Got an 1879??? Springfield breech loader 45-70 I keep locked away. Still a shooter. Immaculate shape. Once again, traded a 44 mag lever action rifle for it. $250 gun for $$$$$ gun. Person didn't know what they had. These old girl are fun to shoot, and you don't go thru alot of ammo. Wondering if there is a black powder club here in the high desert.

Comment

Nice trade, Never fired 1 of those big Springfields but heard they wake you up LOL. I have heard that they are a hard rifle to find now and go for muy bucks. That show "Pawn something" had a 44-90 Sharps they said was worth $10,000. Have you fired a .54 cal before? It has a kick with 90 to 95 grains but your right not like the tv.
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Haven't fired it yet. Had to order balls for it. Bass pro was out. One shop here in the desert ordered some for me. Going to start off with lite loads and get it on paper, then once I get it dial in i'll start upping the charge.

Comment

When I lived on a ranch as a kid in Colorado in the mid 70s I shot a .75 Cal cap and ball rifle owned by my brother in law. It had dual triggers as well. The one in front was hair trigger. And when they said HAIR they meant it too. Kicked like a mule. Quite the gun. Original too not a replica of any sort. He has all kinds of them and some were handed down through the generations of family. Good to see someone getting into the old school black powder stuff.
            "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
            X